AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now for the big question. Does anyone know of a way you can modify a DLP projector internally to make it quieter? I have an older Infocus 425Z and it operates at 45db when a movie is showing. This use to not bother me, but we now have a Seleco Sim2 in our theater and have moved the infocus to the bedroom and compared to the Seleco it is entirely too loud. I tried modding the fans with the new magnet driven ones, this helped a little. Most of the noise is coming from the color wheel. I will pay someone to modify it, if they come up with a solution.

Thanks,

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't think modifying the projector will do much, because the color wheel makes a lot of noise. You can seal the projector completely (unless you build a hushbox) and even for sealed you have to build separate cooling.

This is why I'm giving up DLP alltogether: way too much color wheel noise and even though I like the small size of many a DLP projector, the casing is way too small to fit any kind of useful noise damping material inside it.

You could - in theory - build a partial case around the color wheel, but even that would only attenuate the noise a few dB.

Silent (20 dB) or semi-noisy (30 dB) you really can't make it, unless you change the casing or build a hush box.

That's my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Actually, the color wheel is very, very unlikely to be responsible for that noise. (it is merely that maybe, you are dealing with the small high-frequency component (of the overall noise) that the wheel creates, and find this rather bothersome. If a color wheel is creating that much noise, it about to fail. The high RPM of the devices means that if the bearing system is that loud.... OR..that much energy is terminated in the bearing...(the bearing is the junctive point for energy transfer in the entire color wheel system) then it is about to fail.

The FANS..on the other hand, and the air flow handling done around them, is largely responsible for the situation. Lack of proper venturi design, etc, all lead to the high levels of noise. Proper fans are very expensive. Not due to them being complex to build..it's just that few do it properly, or put the effort into it...simply because these folks (good fan designers) know what they are doing. PJ build plays a large part as well. Due to this, the working fans for the job do not exist, do not have the right CFM ratings, or are not available, period. If they are available, they are very expensive.

The portables are not designed for noise control. Larger LCD units, for semi-permanent install -tend- to be a little better built. Space (PJ volume) is less of a premium.

As for modifications to existing chassis, that's a difficult one at best. The space to correct the problem is not there. The problem has to be addressed at the design phase, specifically in the portables we are talking about. they are NOT allowed the space to correct the problems, as this would make the PJ noticeably larger.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If the wheel on your PJ is mounted with out any type of dampening involved, give this a shot. Do a search on Color wheel mods for Davis 450 PJs. The procedure involves placing rubber grommets on all the screws which secure the wheel to the wheel mount. Grommets need to be on both sides of the wheel (one between the screw head and wheel, the other between wheel and mount. This basically isolates the wheel form the chasis and absorbs much of the noise generated by the wheel.

Worked great for me, my whisper quiet cooling fan is louder than the my 450 clone after this mod! To put the effects of this mod in perspective, before the mod, the PJ noise was terrible and annoying even with a hush box. After the mod, I didn't really need the hush box anymore. But of course, when used together, I can barely hear a thing. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Gerald

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I can vouch for the fact that rubber washers on the 450's helps...

As does a hushbox :D !!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Isolating the color wheel was the #1 thing I did when I had a DL450 (I sold it before going to Europe, if someone knows where I can find another, DL450 or DLS8 or DLX650 let me know). The projector was much quieter after the mod.

Note that doing a mod like this is not for the faint of heart, it involves disassembly of your projector and removal of the color wheel. However on the Davis its not to hard.

lance

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hence, newer models, like the Davis DSL8, have factory installed rubber isolation washers with an isolated mounting ring and a molded plastic cover for the wheel.

The R&D required to reach a solution would IMHO be significant since most here are more familiar with NEC, Plus, Davis and the like designs.

Thump's 2c

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Lance, I know of some Cinema Ones and Cinema Tens that could be had at about 1.5K from a reliable dealer...

If that is a deal in this market with new TE100's being what they are let me know... Reason I still like them is that I HTPC game quite a bit so having the SVGA 4:3 pillarboxed is a nice touch...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hey, Lance, good to see you again!

Make sure to get a programming cable with that Davis! :D

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.