AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, i'm sure this is a proper newbie question but please help. I've just moved in to a house that has unpowered passive speakers in the kitchen. They terminate in a pair of 6.5mm jacks. Currently i've got those connecting to a Bluetooth receiver/or connected directly to my phone. Either way the sound is very quite. 

Do I need an amplifier to sit between the speakers and the phone? Can you recommend an Amp that will allow me to input a 3.5mm jack and output to two mono 6.5mm jacks?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I'd check the wiring before hand you don't want to use amplifiers with line level gear, you don't know what is behind the plate or wall. Sure it's just a jack wired up to speakers and no electronics in between?

Unusual it would be terminted with regular line level connectors, you'd think put in inwall banana plug sockets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately all of that went over my head. 

How would I check to see if there was anything i'm not seeing including fruit based plug sockets?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
It's possible they used the blanking plate as a input connectors and on the other end would be an amplifier? But funny how you get sound, just very low. If they removed the amp you'd get no sound.

You'd think on the end end they'd be a couple of cables coming out, and a empty space where a amplifier would be, with speaker cables then going off. That would be how I'd put in ceiling speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts