AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite certain that the Athlon cooler I have (some Volcano 6 thing or somethingorother) is by far the noisiest piece in my HTPC and I'd like to replace it. What are the quietest coolers that people have experience with (1 GHz Athlon in a very well-cooled aluminum case)

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
361 Posts
It sounds like you have the same Thermaltake Volcano II as me. I agree, it is louder than it should be. My solution was to place a resistor in-line with one of the power leads to slow down the fan. There is a delicate balance between keeping the fan speed high enough to adequately cool the CPU and lowering it enough to make a noticeable sound reduction. I found that a 65 ohm resistor works very well in this regard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had this thing and your best bet is to get the Zalman copper fan. It comes with a resister cable to slow it down - very quite and quite lovely too! I got mine at nexfan.com for $44 including shipping.

Jim

·
Registered
551 Posts
janovetz,

Hi neighborhood. :)

There is one interesting article Bicster introduced us two months ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=gamepc

And here is my favorite shop for quiet PC in US.

http://www.directron.com/silence.html

BTW, I think Zalman's copper fan is not so great gear for HTPC. It looks like make CPU cool, but I'm afraiding about the noise came out from those tons of tin fins. It is made of copper, so it is possible that it receive noise from others, multiple it, and emit noise again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got the Zalman Flower (my efforts are chronicled here ) and it's phenomenal. Great cooling and no noise at all in its silent mode. Highly recommended. I got mine from QuietPC .

-will

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I'll admit that the Zalman flower coolers look very interesting and may prove suitable for HTPC uses. I think they're not included in most "hardware site" reviews because they are not geared towards overclocking, and one of their objectives is quiet.

Interesting point is that getting a "radiator cooled" heatsink or a "silent" zalman flower, won't do you much good unless you have a PSU that is just as "silent". 20db+40db is quieter than 40db+40db, but not by as much as you think. There wouldn't be much sense in taking your heatsink noise down to 0 and still have a loud PSU fan (or two).

I would suggest looking into a Alpha Pal 8045 with a quiet fan. I am not sure what fans are paired with this one in all regions, but the manufacturer paired with a bunch, and the Orix fan is the one I would suggest. The Orix fan was the second from most quiet. I think that the quietest fan on this heatsink would not prove enough cooling power for a AMD over 1 GHZ.

Keep in mind, that this heatsink combo uses screws to mount the heatsink to the motherboard. This is the best way to mount a heatsink! But, you must have a compatible motherboard which has the holes already drilled, and has the space required surrounding the socket.

I have the Noise Control Silverado, and love it. Though it costs about $80 to get it here in the states. The only way to get it (last time I checked) was from chillblast (I think), and pay for shipping.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you really want a SILENT computer you will have to build a hush-box (or clever placement) for your cpu with scsi based dvd-rom drive that is placed along with kb and mouse near where you want to use them.

Foor cooling the most silent way is of course water based cooling. Pumps are really silent these days and even a passive radiator is efficient enough to cool the water down to near room temperature even for viewing three movies in a row.

Then again, these require much more work and no easy "off the shelf" solutions are available everywhere, but I can tell you that a completely silent PC is a one where the only sound you hear is your mouse clicking...

Cheers,

Halcy

PS I've been sound proofing, cooling and experimenting with "silent" pcs for years now and I have tried almost all tricks in the book from diamond dust thermal paste to huge car radiators cut to size for cpus. Nothing beats a well done water cooling for efficiency, lack of noice, price and tolerable amount of work.

·
Registered
361 Posts
All these Rube Goldberg methods of making your PC silent sound pretty expensive. The resistor that silenced my CPU fan cost pennies. I use 5400 rpm drives which are pretty quiet and I lined the inside of my case with cork. I originally had it lined with Dynamat, but I later discovered that Dynamat is really designed to silence low frequencies, not the high frequencies that we are concerned with here. Also, my cpu runs at 38 degrees when idle, and in the 40's when active. It never goes over 50 degrees. It runs about 5 degrees cooler since I replaced the dynamat with cork. Apparently, dynamat is more of a thermal insulator than cork. I regularly sit about 4 feet from my PC and can barely hear it.

Kazuchi -

Isn't Urbana, Il the birthplace of HAL from 2001 ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
PAL Alpha8045 is getting my vote...With an Enermax speed adjustible fan running at about 60% speed, I get 40C idle/50C load on a TBird 1.33 running @1440, Vcore+0.1...and that's in a KS780 case with poor airflow.

Taking the cover off drops my temps to 46C load. I can't hear the fan at all above my Enermax Whisper PSU (don't get me started about that turbine..). If I want to quieten the HSF any further once the PSU noise is eliminated, I'll consider a Panaflo or Pabst fan, or dropping the overclock and reducing the fan speed further, but I don't think I'll really need to..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul K
Isn't Urbana, Il the birthplace of HAL from 2001 ?
Yep, that's the one. (Champaign and Urbana are about 15 feet from each other -- on opposite sides of the street)

Cheers,

Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.