AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my HTPC and would like to hear what people are using or consider as the quietest power supply. I currently have an enermax 350W which works well, but I would hardly call it silent. I've seen several comments about Fortran, Zalmann and Nexus models, are these things really as quiet as their specs ? The SilenX power supplies all claim to be less than 20db.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'd say that my Fortron FSP550-PLN power supply is roughly as quiet as they come short of buying one of those expensive fanless contraptions or exotic watercooled models. Fortron makes the PSUs for Zalman and other manufacturers well noted for their silence, and is well-known for their high quality.

They're also very inexpensive because they're mainly a supplier to OEMs and have a smaller presence at actual physical retailers than the well-publicized brand names. I ended up buying a 550watt server-grade PSU since the price was so affordable--a comparable model would have cost twice as much from Enermax or Antec.

Any of their model numbers that have an "N" in them have their "noisekiller" quiet design. The primary acoustic feature of these models is actually the sound of the air being sucked over the internal components, and if even this sound is too much for you some people have modified them by moving the fan to the outside rear of the PSU instead of the inside, to leave more space between the fan and components and hence lessen the "whooshing air" sound. But I find it to be very quiet and unobtrusive.

One of their "N" power supplies is definitely worth looking into. I bought mine at NewEgg, which has a very large selection from 300watts to 550watts. The 550 watt EPS12v server version I bought can be used on a standard ATX12v motherboard with a small $4.00 adapter available at the same place and at other retailers, and has the advantage of being future-proof should you ever upgrade to an EPS12v board in the future.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
Vantec VAN-520A Stealth
The Vantec Stealth PSUs are nice but they aren't as quiet as the Fortrons, and they're overpriced. They've done noise testing in some of the PSU roundups over at Tom's Hardware and AnandTech, and the brands made by Fortron usually score lowest in noise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a really cheap PSU that was very noisy. It was made much quieter by a) removing the internal fan and placing the external fan at the opposite end, so it was in the middle of the PC, blowing INTO the PSU (after cutting out a suitable sized hole nex to where the drive & m/b power cables exit). This leaves a large hole on the outside (which is of course covered with a grill) out of which the air can escape more slowly than when there is a fan filling it, and fan bearing noise is dampened by the case.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Take a look at the Zalman's PSU. Very quiet and thy come in 300W and 400W. I have a 300W model and it is completely silent.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm using a Nexus NX-3000. Can't hear the thing unless I stick my ear right up to it. It really is that quiet. At $75 not the cheapest power supply, but it does work as advertised.

-Rob-

·
Registered
800 Posts
Seasonic Super Tornado 300 (see silent pc review link above) - very quiet 120mm fan, and runs so cool that I don't need any other case fans. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd like to recommend the Antec True power supply line. I have two at home and they are very silent to me. Another good thing about Antec is they have good support. I sent back one of the power supplies because, when compared to the other, it wasn't as quiet. They sent me a new one with very little trouble (send a few emails and fill out a few forms). I've also never had any problems that can be associated with lack of power or bad power (reboots, lockups).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll second the recommendation for the Seasonic Super line, either the Seasonic Super Tornado or Seasonic Super Silencer. I have the Super Silencer and it is MUCH quieter then my old PS, but that wasn't too hard. One of the primary reasons (other then noise) for purchasing the SS was the very high efficiency (~78%) and "cable management system" (cable ties & spiral flex wrap). I have been very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd also recommend the Seasonic. I've also tried the Enermax, Antec, Zalman, and Nexus and my ears find the Seasonic the quietest of all of them in the 300W range. I also recommend the silentpcreview site, especially the "Recommended" section and the forums there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tycoon
I have a proSilence power supply and it works great.
Me too. This proSilence is fanless and is one of the best things I've ever bought for my machine.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.