AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I ordered a BIC rtr 12" 100W RMS sub. It was verrry quiet when I tried it, it was only audible if the volume was maxed and the other speakers were turned down all the way on the receiver.

I went to return it, and the company won't take large items back, so they refunded me the money and let me keep the sub.

I have another sub right now in place, but I have this thing sitting in the corner doing nothing.

I opened it up to see if there was a loose connection. Nada. Everything seemed fine. I even took the wire connectors off the sub itself and then reconnected. Same thing. Super quiet, not hearing much unless turned up full way. Even then, sounded like a 25W sub.

Fiddled a few more times, and now it's dead.

My question......is there any way this thing can be saved? I dont even know how to go about figuring out what the problem is. Any tips? Or would I be able to keep the casing, woofer, etc, and just order new power supply, circuit board, etc.

I am a complete noobie with this stuff....any tips are appreciated.

It would be awesome to get this thing running properly.

C

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
First thing I would try is powering the driver from a known good amp. That would narrow down the problem.

Post a picture of the innards of the circuit board, sometimes it's obvious what is wrong if you know what to look for (and sometimes it's not..)

Tim

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Are you sure the crossover knob on the amp isn't at it lowest position?

You could try hooking the speaker itself directly to the left or right channel of your avr. If that works then it's likely the amp.

Once you identify if it's the speaker or amp then you can start to form a plan.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice to both of you. I will give it a shot tomorrow. Too late now to fiddle. Yes, the crossover knob is definitely in the middle at 80 Hz.

So I come home tonight and the PSB sub I just bought (used, 5 years old) dies. What a friggin terrible day. I have been looking forward to blasting a movie on it all day! I have only had it for a week!!! I am going to message the person who sold it to me but I doubt he will care...

I can hear the pop of it powering on, but the power light doesnt come on, and there is no sound.

All of the clocks in my house are flashing, so I definitely had a power outage, but the surge protector bar seems fine and nothing else is affected.

So degected! I hope I can figure out how to fix at least one of these two....I have two dead subs sitting in my basement....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really dont think so. None of my other electronics were affected. All of the subs I have had were hooked up to the same power bar.

The BIC was crap on arrival. The PSB was unbelievable (for my standards at least) until it died today. I just want THAT again.

I couldnt resist, so I went and tried hooking both subs up with the regular speaker wire to the left front speaker channel on the AVR. No dice.

I will take pics tomorrow of the inside of the BIC. The PSB inside seems to be compartmentalized. I can only get pics of the amp and not the connection to the speaker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do not know if the poster above meant the fuse in the sub itself - as in the amp fuse. Most of the plate amps have a location for a fuse.

Curious how you are hooking up the subs via speaker wires. Are you using any existing speaker wire connectors on the plate amp itself?

Further, sometime companies will help you out with parts even if they are out of warranty. Case in point is my 4 years old 8" B&W sub. I pushed it too hard and it committed hara-kiri. It gutted out, what looks like a capacitor, in the circuit board. B&W sent me a new board free of cost. Few twist of screw driver here, there, unhooked/hooked few connectors, and my little guy is thumping again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts