AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I am looking for some solid but quiet fans as an OE replacement to the case fan, the original fans are simply too loud and I have grown tired of dealing with it. I have 3 360's and the two older units are louder than I would like even though they have both had the X-clamp mod done. The newer unit is a Jasper and is very quiet.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jason

·
Registered
114 Posts
the only drop in replacement fans i know of are talismoon fans, good search and it will pull up places to order from.

now being quieter? i don't know, i used them in a first gen xbox 360 and they just seem to change the pitch, maybe a little quieter, but still seemed loud to me, i mainly got them for the increase air flow.

the only other option is to buy the 80mm fans and mod them so that they fit properly in the back of the case and have your own voltage control so you can tune it to your sound level likings...

now one thing i've done with my newer zephyr core was to put a baffle to seperate the fans so that the left fan is only for the GPU and the right fan is only for the CPU, i also put a piece of card stock right over the gpu heatsink so that the air being pulled would go across the entire heatsink.

now the way this helps with noise levels....if the gpu starts to heat up with the stock fan shroud, then both fans spin faster, but air will travel the path of least resistance, so it just pulls most of the air from the CPU side...splitting the fans make the cooling more efficient and keeps both parts cooler...i can feel the gpu get much hotter during game play then the cpu and i feel the cpu get much hotter while in media center extender then the gpu...

so the fans don't have to spin as fast to get the best cooling...

now the dvd drive is really the only loud part of the system...and my 20gb doesn't allow me to load a lot of games on it

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for the informative post, much appreciated!

I am kind of shocked that more people have not replaced the noisy OE fan assembly.

Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts