AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one for the family room, and it'll be right above our heads, so little or no sound coming from the projector is ideal. I don't want a hushbox, I want a quiet PJ! What's out there that's whisper quiet and still obviously great for HT?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the sanyo plv-z1 is supposed to be a very quiet projector in eco mode. Do you have or have owned projectors before? because if you have owned an older projector, the new projectors today are much much more quieter than the fan noise is a non issue for most people.

but if you are super sensitive, I guess you really have to look for a super quiet projector.

James

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've seen (and heard) the HS10, X1, and L300U. The L300U was by far the quietest. I have one and it's mounted about 4ft above my viewing position. I can't hear it when a movie is going, even at lower volume levels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
NEC LT240K is 28 db in eco mode.

This was a top-five search criteria for me. I don't have all my notes, but there are 7 pjs I considered either LCD/DLP that are just as quiet. I got sucked into the NEC, when I read the projectorcentral review, oh about 20x too many ...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The new Z2 is rated at 24db in eco, theatre black mode. That's less than half the noise the Z1 makes in eco mode.

I think you will find that completely unobtrusive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
FYI: To use as a reference

Therorticaly, for something to be perceivably quieter it must -3db down (quieter). -10 db would be half as loud. Although some claim to detect 1db increments YMMV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A -3db drop is actually half the sound level.

-10db would be half, then half again, then half again plus a bit less for good measure :)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Stuff a projector in a whisperflow hushbox and any monster can be quiet. Even my 20HD.

I'll do a review with pictures of the hushbox in a few weeks. Overall I love it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Dell 2100MP is much quieter than an X1, and my LP260. I gave up on trusting rated noise levels. The Infocus claims to be 34 dB, while the Dell is 33 , and I'd be very shocked if it wasn't at least 3 times as loud...

When it comes to PJ noise, it's all about the frequency, not so much the power... A low hum of a fan is a lot less annoying than a high pitched squeel at the same 'loudness'...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Rick,

Perhaps you can explain the difference - power v sound level.

I was going by what the radio shack manual states and what I've read else where. Does half the power mean you wont perceive a half drop in sound level ? or are you just being picky ?

Akos is absolutely right. A whisper is considered to be 20db. If you heard constant whispering like in a cinema it would drive you nuts even though it's quieter than any of today's projectors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tavs,

I didn't mean to get off main topic but this is good to know.

I was shown this link

DB's & Loudness

when another member was trying to explain to me the relationship between power, voltage, db's & loudness and how they come together. In the middle of the page there is a excellent chart that I have burned in my head.

Rick

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the specs of the future PLV-D1 from sanyo (not the z1) are true, it will be the quietest of the market with only 23 Db.

I dont think you can worry about noise with that numbers!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
The HT1000 in low lamp mode is very quiet, also.

--Darin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.