AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is absolutely pleased with their new 120 gig Hardrive? I am looking for performance with a quiet drive and know there are lots to choose from. Manufacturers from IBM, Western Digital, Maxtor, Samsung, Seagate, etc. Right now the Samsung seems to be priced right at just under $100 w/ shipping included. Give me your feedback on the noise level & performance guys. Thanks.

Reider

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just did the Maxtor 120gig upgrade and so far I'm very pleased with it. It does not make too much noise at all. Only problem I've found with this drive (I have one on my Computer also) is they run hot. So you have to make sure you keep it cool.

Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Maxtor 120GB as well. It is pretty quiet when not doing anything (it has fluid bearings) but when seeking track to track it makes more noise than the Seagate ATA IV drives. Plus it seems to run a bit hotter so I would recommend the Seagate over the Maxtor. (If the Seagate supports ATA security; I don't know if it does personally.)

Clip

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a Seagate Barracuda 80GB in one of the UTVs (I upgraded back when that was their biggest offering). I specifically picked this drive because it was reported to be quiet, and that UTV is in my bedroom. And it is in fact very quiet -- I'm superbly happy with it. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
I upgraded mine about six months ago with one of the last WD 120GB 5400 RPM drives. It's in the living room, inside the entertainment center with VCR setting on top of it. I have no extra cooling but the shelf it is setting on is actually made from two 1'X4's with the components straddeling a six inch gap between the boards. I leave it on 24/7 and the unit was purchased in April of 2001. The only problems I've ever had were twice after a power outage it wouldn't turn on until I unplugged it for an hour or so, and once since th P4 replacement I have come home to find it showing an Invalid Access Card. Reseating it fixed the problem. The drive is actually quieter than the original. I used to be able to hear it while watching TV but since the replacement I don't hear it unless I'm standing directly in fromt of the unit (maybe my hearing is failing).

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. How about the IBM drive. Who has one, and how does it compare to these others?

Reider

·
Registered
67 Posts
This might be a silly question, and not in the proper thread, but I am curious. I still have an Hu card in my UTV. I am thinking about upgrading the HD, but I am not very good with internal electronics and don't trust my skills. Does the having the P4 card make the HD upgrade harder/easier/no difference? (I plan to request one soon). Also, does anyone have any idea whether this upgrade will be doable after 3.7 arrives?

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrdobolina
This might be a silly question, and not in the proper thread, but I am curious. I still have an Hu card in my UTV. I am thinking about upgrading the HD, but I am not very good with internal electronics and don't trust my skills. Does the having the P4 card make the HD upgrade harder/easier/no difference? (I plan to request one soon). Also, does anyone have any idea whether this upgrade will be doable after 3.7 arrives?
I once had to redownload the software when I had the Hu Card and if I recall correctly the process was exactly the same. Since this is pretty much all that is required to replace the hard drive, it seems that it doesn't matter which card you have. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade process itself did not require any card at all though I am not sure.

To answer your second question, I believe the hard drive upgrade should work fine with 3.7. When you replace the hard drive in the UTV, you actually have no software: not 3.7 nor 3.5 nor any other version. All you have is the firmware which allows you download the software. The firmware has already been proven many times to able to be able to download different versions of the software to an upgraded hard disk so this suggests that it will have no trouble downloading and installing 3.7. A related question is will the 3.7 software work on an upgraded disk once it's been installed? Well, at least one person on this forum in the beta program is reportedly running the beta on an upgraded disk so it seems that this should work fine.

Clip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.