AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a Marantz s4. Terrific picture.

In my room the projector sits just a few feet from my head. I could mount it in a hush box, that would be a pretty big undertaking that would seriously degrade the look of the room.

Is there a similar or higher picture quality unit that is considerably quieter?

Is there some place that publishes reliable noise figures?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 /forum/post/14286790

I've currently got a Marantz s4. Terrific picture.

In my room the projector sits just a few feet from my head. I could mount it in a hush box, that would be a pretty big undertaking that would seriously degrade the look of the room.

Is there a similar or higher picture quality unit that is considerably quieter?

Is there some place that publishes reliable noise figures?

Thanks.

I don't think there is a useful summary table of noise figures, but there's lots of info in these threads if you dig it out. E.g., I have the JVC RS1, and it sits only 2 to 3 ft from my head. In low lamp mode, I can hear its low 'swoosh' if I mute the system, but with any real audio at all I never notice it.

And some pj's are even quieter, I believe the Sony sxrd's, and the Mits lcd's. I think most of the dlp's are a bit louder, but some not much. Again, you just have to track this down.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
 Here is Art's list.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The 12S4 is about average for fan noise. The tricky part is going to be finding something better, with less fan noise. Most the DLP's that are current will be "better", but similar volume. Some of the SXRD/LCOS based machines will certainly be quieter, but, better may be more subjective (there are inherent differences in what each technology does).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts