• Sapphire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PowerColor

• HIS

• Diamond

• They are ALL way too loud for an HTPC!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a Radeon HD 4850, and was wondering which one you have experienced to be the quietest.

Thanks,

//M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltronik /forum/post/15497710

Actually, after further research, it looks like you would want the Accelero S1 rev.2 for a 4850.

I was looking into the ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO TWIN TURBO ATI/NVIDIA COOLER.... but the Accelero claim to be "noiseless" cooling. Anyone have experience with either?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After more extensive research, I have found that the two quietest cards are either the HIS or MSI. Some tests show the HIS as quieter, some show that it is MSI.

I have read that while CPU load is under 50%, MSI is quieter.

Would be good to have the comments of someone who has tried both

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Wouldn't put any card with a fan in my pc, let alone my htpc. Yes fans make noise even if you "can't hear" them, hell the rushing of air makes noise even if the fan was inaudible, which is not. Don't forget what you now consider quiet when that fan gathers dust it will drive you crazy. Nothing wrong with a big, expensive, power hungry card to play games in your htpc but it's got to be fanless imo. I have nothing against low rpm 120/140mm fans, in fact I have 4 in my htpc but those tiny gfx card fans are a no no.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Any 2 slot video card solution with the reference cooler (exhausts the heat directlly out of the case) will be fine. Inaudible in most cases. Single slot cards are bad news and increase the noise from a PC considerably because they just move the hot air created by the video card around inside the case.

Vern

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p /forum/post/15535205

Wouldn't put any card with a fan in my pc, let alone my htpc. Yes fans make noise even if you "can't hear" them, hell the rushing of air makes noise even if the fan was inaudible, which is not. Don't forget what you now consider quiet when that fan gathers dust it will drive you crazy. Nothing wrong with a big, expensive, power hungry card to play games in your htpc but it's got to be fanless imo. I have nothing against low rpm 120/140mm fans, in fact I have 4 in my htpc but those tiny gfx card fans are a no no.

I agree. I hate those tiny whiny-type fans. But the big 120mm are great. No sound, and they move a TON of air!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts