AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm curious; has anyone tried to quiet their digital pj's? i have a 4805, and the noise is bothersome. i'm curious if someone has tried replacing the fan(s)? if the fan is similar to pc fans, then i would tend to think switching it out for semething like a nexus or yate-loon would be the trick. but i'm not sure what fan or fans it uses. i live in an apt so tunneling into the ceiling for cold air intake is out of the question. i have it ceiling mounted right above my couch at the back of the room. i'm thinking of installing some sort of shelf, perhaps a bookcase with books, just above my couch so that there would be a barrier between the sound and myself. hummm....but replacing the fan would be ideal.

thoughts?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Been questioned many times but I don't think anyone has successfully replaced the fan as there were some issues, it's been discussed in the old thread. Best bet is to build a hushbox. More info in a search for those too.

·
Banned
618 Posts
I have a 4805 as well, and I'm bothered by the fan. First of all, the fan never shuts down completely, unless you turn off the power switch.

I decided to build a hush box, and may install a rear exhaust fan. I may even include a motorized front door to keep the dust off the lens when not in use.

Don

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
uzziah

I have been so tempted to try and replace the fan - it looks just like a typial PC fan. But I am too chicken to get the gonads to give it a try. I think others are waiting for that first person to give it a whirl.

The new IF PJs are due out fairly soon. If I upgrade, you bet I will try a new, queiter fan. If it works, then I will put it in the TV room as a 60" plasma simulator with Vutec.

The noise is fine for the Theater Room because the volume is up so high - but for the TV room, it needs to be quiet.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Continue this in the official 4805 thread if you need more information.

(Or build a hushbox)

Good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.