AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my "quiet" Radial Fin Cooler (Intel FC-PGA) from quietpc.com, and i'm not too happy with it. Just warning other people out there... the reviews of the product that they link to from their site are for the 3500 RPM version, but they sent the 5400 RPM version which operates at 30dB-A (vs. 18 dB-A for the 3500 RPM version).

I wrote to them yesterday to find out what the deal is, but have not heard back, so I would say if you are in the market for one of these and expect it to be "silent," you will be dissapointed. Totally not worth the $29.

Anyone else have any experience dealing with quietpc.com?

Jeff

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought several power supplies from quietpc.com and have been very satisified both with the power supplies and my dealings with Glenn.

Can't comment on the fans though...

cu jc

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL

Where did you order the quiet one? Like I said, I thought i was ordering the quiet one...

Still no word back from quietpc.com... guess they are being quiet.

J

·
Registered
63 Posts
he relpied.... you just can't here him...

sorry couldn't resist.

Glen referred me to the NZ branch, i dealt with scott... both replied pretty quick... but then again i hadn't paid any money yet.

Anyway got my PSU and radial fin cooler, both work well.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Hmm, I got the Zalman Flower Cooler from quietpc.com and it's great; I have the fan running at minimum speed on an Athlon XP 1700+ and I can't hear it.

The fan actually is not attached to the heat sink itself, but rather suspended above it via a bracket. As a result, the fan can be larger and move more air with less blade speed. It's something you might consider.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I originally was going to buy the Zalman, but someone told me they had bad luck with it, so I changed to something else.

What the hell, i'll order the Zalman (from Silicon Acoustics).

Still haven't heard back from anyone at quietpc.com... they are definitely quiet. And I've removed them from my list of places to buy from based on this experience. (Written 3 emails, called - no answer, left message).

Jeff

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi DCypher:

___Might I suggest that you look elsewhere for a CPU F/HS combination that is not only quieter but more importantly, years ahead in terms of thermal performance. These Molex F/HS combo’s are the worst coolers I have ever used in terms of out and out cooling performance.

___As a possible alternative for you, the copper based Dynatron -625 w/ HQ 60x60 to 80x80 mm funnel and an 80x80x25 mm low RPM but HQ case fan coming from PC Power&Cooling in the form of their Silencer, a Sunon TB-4 or even the sleeve bearing 3’s, a Panaflow L1A, or a Papst NGL8412 as a small list of contenders for a PIII solution. The Alpha Pal8045 for the AMD Duron/T-Bird/XP + using the same fans listed above and an Alpha Pal8942 with again, the same fans listed for a P4. These solutions are at least two years ahead of what QuietPC or any other vendor can offer using these lousy Molex cloned combinations.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi xcel,

I really can't complain about the ability of the molex to cool the CPU, just the noise level. What's the noise level on the Dynatron solution that you listed? I'm currently running a PIII 1 Ghz FC-PGA.

BTW - I heard back from QuietPC just a few moments ago, they were in fact shipped the wrong products from their supplier, which is why i ended up with the louder 5400 RPM version of the cooler. They have agreed to not only take back the unit and refund the price (as per their guarantee), but also are refunding the shipping charges due to the error. So, while they were slow getting back to me, they did the right thing in the end.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi DCypher:

___Have you ever heard a 1400 – 2100 RPM 80x80x25 mm HQ case fan vs. a 2850 – 3750 60x60x15 mm fan or less from just about anyone? The cooling improvement due to the newer all Copper HS’s alone will astound you let alone how much quieter the CPU F/HS combo’s will become w/ the larger and quieter case fans. The low RPM 80 mm case fans listed above have real world dB(A) outputs in the 15 – 24 dB range whereas the rated dB(A) output is in the 12-21 dB range with flows in the 15 - 24 CFM range. When you listen to a 2850 - 3750 RPM 60x60 (9.5 – 11.5 CFM) Molex Radial fans output in real world terms vs. the magically rated 18 dB(A), you come away with a vastly different conclusion. They are not that quiet and the flow and thermal performance is miniscule in comparison. The Molex HS’s themselves are very poorly designed for a ZIF socket based CPU due to the (fin to core simple press fit) mating surface not being a full face contact like the SVC GoldenGate’s and Dynatron base interfaces with the fins that are soldered (full metal to metal contact) with one another …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi xcel,

Thanks for the great info!

I'm a newbie at the quiet efficient cooling aspect of building PC's, so the information is EXTREMELY helpful.

I have a few questions, that I hope you can address:

1) What exactly is a "60x60 to 80x80 mm funnel?" Is this simply an adapter that screws into a HS and allows you to attach an 80x80mm fan?

2) The Dynatron -625 Cooler's that I have seen all come with noisy little fans attached. Do they sell these things without the fans, or can you simply unscrew them from the HS?

3) Based on your description of a good cooler (copper with surface full face contact with larger, slower fan), it seems that the Zalman flower cooler (copper) would fit the bill. http://store.yahoo.com/siliconacoust...cnps6000c.html

It has a 92 mm fan, copper fins and adjustable fan speed. Granted, it costs more than what you've suggested, but do you think it would fit the bill?

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hehehe, xcel will tell you he doesn't like the Zalman FHS that much... or maybe something more like "The Zalman produces just adequate performance, while the other options I mentioned will do much better for less money". Heheh, I guess I read too many threads on cooling :p

I cool my dual athlon's with zalman's and I have to agree with xcel on the issue. However, the Zalman's have a style that just can't be beat... they look really cool, and while their thermal performance isn't stellar, they WILL get the job done... just make sure you buy the all copper version if you decide to go with them. Also, with the zalman you'll want to make sure you've got enough room on either side of your socket for the fins. They stick up at an angle, and I had to actually bend a couple of the outer fins up a little to make it fit over my close-by dimm slot.

If I had it to do over again I'd do it the same.... but then again I'm not overclocking... if I were I'd do it the xcel way.

-rick

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Voop,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still not sold on the Zalman (I'm not concerned with how it looks, i just want it to work well and quietly). However, I am not too clear on what exactly xcel is describing... i can't quite picture it...

Jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jeff,

FYI www.coolerguys.com

has the copper Zalman for $39.99, shipping looks to be about the same as well.

Quote:
1) What exactly is a "60x60 to 80x80 mm funnel?" Is this simply an adapter that screws into a HS and allows you to attach an 80x80mm fan?
yep. click on 'fan adapters' at the above link to see them.

Xcel,

I've seen several reveiws speculate that the Dynatron needs a high CFM fan in order to get sufficient airflow through the microfins. comment?

What solution are you using on your Tualeron 1.0A currently?

Steve (counting the days till I rip that 'quiet' Golden Orb out of my HTPC)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi DCypher:

___I hope this will answer some of your questions …

1) A funnel is exactly what you described. Its simply a 60x60 to 80x80 plastic adapter. Plycon has them as well as a few others.

2) Most all the 60x60mm fans for T-Bird/XP + HS’s come with the ridiculously noisy fans if they cool worth a darn IMO. This is where the funnel comes in. You can attach an inaudible 80x80x25 mm case fan to one of these great T-Bird designed HS’s using the adapter and cool a PIII/Celeron std. as well as the PIII/Celeron III-Tualatin’s much better than a Retail F/HS as well as any concoction of 60x60 mm fans on just about any high performance HS for the CPU’s listed above. As an example, my 1.0A barely makes it to 1.342 GHz using a Silencer/Funnel/DY1206BH-625 Dynatron solution. With the retail, it won’t even post at that OC … Temps are only 5 – 15 degrees above ambient using OC’ed Coppermine’s or Tualatin’s at 100% load with this solution yet the setup is only ~ 20 dB inside the case and

3) As Voop mentioned, I don’t like the Zalman’s either. The thermal performance of all the Zalman CNPS’s are poor once again but they can be very quiet.

___As far as picturing this solution, I left the viewable linked jpg’s in the “Best in Class†post.

___StvB, it is the 60 finned -1206 micro-finned/skived units from Dynatron that are not made for the low RPM fan solutions. The -625 is a special case in that the 36 fins are not nearly as tightly packed for good air flow through them with out all the DP losses as their monster packed 60 fin brethren. The -625’s are also unique in the way the fins are soldered into place with the 3-prong clip already installed. I use both the SVC Goldengate and the Dynatron -625’s with great results for the PIII/Celeron solutions.

___Finally, the copper based Dynatron’s w/ the high speed 60x60 mm fans have shown good results on top of high frequency T-Bird’s/XP +’s but they don’t work worth a damn using low RPM case fans and funnels. This is where the Alpha’s PAL 8045’s and 8942’s for the P4’s come in as far as a quiet solution with good thermal performance. I rant about the Zalman’s and Molex’s simply because for the price you pay, these things perform very poorly whereas for a few dollars more or less, you can have solutions that are either as quiet or quieter and also provide huge gains in thermal performance in comparison.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Xcel for clarifying the model number.

I'm sure the Dynatron engineer who came up with their naming schema is proud of himself, but it can make for easy mistakes at the retail level.

I initially went to Dynatron's homepage and the first likely candidate I found was the DY1206BM-P625, which has the microfins.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
xcel, StvB - thanks for clearing things up for me!

Here's what I've found:

Silencer 80 mm fan (PC Power & Cooling): $9

Gray 60 mm into 80 mm Aluminum Fan Adapter (coolerguys.com): $5.95

Dynatron DY1206BH-625 w/ 6800 RPM fan (to be removed) (newegg.com): $18

=========

$32.95 + shipping

Cooling effects: Priceless

... so, for less $ sounds like you get a much higher quality solution.

Great posts, thanks for the info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.