AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have usage experiences with these? It sounds like they can take 7,200 RPM drives and silence them down below even Barracuda IV/Noisecontrol NoVibes levels? -- I.e. total silence? Is this true?

Also, since QuietPC seems to rebrand other people's stuff -- anywhere where I can buy these foam enclosures for cheaper than $33? I'd need several.

Lastly, any specific 5,400 rpm hard drives recommended? The barracuda in such an enclosure would be nice, but it looks as though power disspation is too much. I'd be looking for something far below the 6.8 watts max, since my case is warm in general due to poor air circulation for quietness. :)

Thanks for any suggestions or info!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
You could try this:

Mark Grant found that removing his hd from the case, wrapping the two ends in foam and using an earth strap to keep it grounded helped reduce his hd noise considerably. The foam helps to isolate the hd from the case, and keeps it raised off the floor of the case just enough for air flow to be adequate. The earth strap is to ensures that the hd remains erthed to the system at all times.

It's cheap (bubble wrap may work) so you've nothing to lose by trying it.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The SilentDrive is a Molex product. You can see the specs at the Molex website: www.molex.com under thermal/accoustic products. I have one of these with my Maxtor 100 Gb 5400 RPM drive and it reduces the noise levels to an inaudible level (unless you put your ear right next to it). Hard drives today are much quieter than they used to be so Silentdrives are not as much of a essential requirement as they once were - I still wouldn't be without mine though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.