AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 42" TV. I don't want plasma or CRT-based, which basically leaves me with either LCD or DLP. And of those, Sony seems to be the only company that makes a 42" LCD RPTV. But of course, with all the horror stories of the Sony GWIII that I've been hearing, I've been leaning away from that option. Which basically leaves me with the 43" Samsung DLP. Is this really the only option I have for my size constraints (40"-45") and price limit (< $2500)? Can one even get the 43" Samsung DLP for < $2500?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe that Philips is coming out with a 44 inch LCOS sometime this year. And you may be able to find an older but new-in-box Panasonic LCD RPTV that is either 42 or 43 inches... the old "boombox" style with a great picture but kinda goofy design.

FWIW, my GWIII 42 inch has been perfect. And word is that GWIII's with newer build dates may not suffer from the buzz problem. Finally, it also appears that Sony has finally figured out a reliable fix for the Dreaded Buzz, if it does occur. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 42" GWIII that I purchased back in October had been trouble free up until the end of December. A couple of times it did not come on the first time and once blinked the five lights (Lamp Driver Error) but it always came on for the second try. Phoned the local Sony Repair Center and the tech was out within a week and installed a fix. Since then has been completely trouble free. Based on my experience I would not be overly concerned about the "GWIII horror stories" at this stage of the game.

I have been very satisified with my GWIII purchase to date and would not hesitate to recommend the set to others.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Globetro,

I would like to echo the two previous responces given with my experience. Have a Nov. 03 build GWIII and I love it. It had the dreaded buzz/no start up syndrome, which I gathered a lot of information about from this board so I was prepared to recognize the symptoms when they started. I was one of the first people on here(as far as I can tell) that had the fix which required a new lamp starter board and new OSRAM lamp. This fix was installed on 1/9, and I have had absolutely no problems since. I believe it has also been verified, and I heard it from my very knowledgable technician, the late January build dates and later have the proper fix for the buzz issue. Don't let posts on this board make up your mind. If you like the TV and it appleals to you...go for it. If a problem comes up, you can always have it fixed. This is a relatively new technology that certainly has some bugs, but all we can do is understand that they will be resolved as soon as manufactureres know the source of the problem. Admitedly, Sony did take quite a long time to admit to the problem publically, actually, I dont know that they have yet, but they did reengineer a fix for the problem. Being an engineer myself, and knowing that things dont always come out they way you may have designed, I accept the resolution that SONY has put out, and I enjoy my TV. It is truely one of the best purchases I have ever made. I mean, even my wife didn't mind dropping nearly 3K on the TV, and that tells me something about the quality and joy of viewing TV/DVD's/HD on this set.

Make the choice that is best for you, but don't be scared of the horror stories, there are always bugs in newer technology.

Good Luck and enjoy your set

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeg13
Globetro,

Make the choice that is best for you, but don't be scared of the horror stories, there are always bugs in newer technology.

Good Luck and enjoy your set
No offense but I think that's terrible advice! These aren't "stories", these are actual situations that people are being put through for television sets that cost between $2600 - $4000! I know this is an incredible set, when it works, but I could never recommend one of these sets to another with a clear conscience. My TV became pratically dead over 3 weeks ago and know from personal experience that the process of getting one of these sets fixed is a slow and tedious process littered with incompetence from Sony itself to my repair centers (yes, with an S). Tomorrow will be the beginning of my 4th week waiting for my set to return in working order. I paid for this set in November, it wasn't delivered until Dec. 9th and I haven't even seen it in 3 weeks. Technically I don't know if my set will ever be fixed, nor has Sony showed me any sign that this fix will resolve my problem permanently and who knows what sort of wear and tear my set has undergone through this extended process of transportation and repair.

Dismissing the enormous number of problems with these sets by saying "there are always bugs in newer technology" is irresponsible. Problems of this degree should never occur in any product and people need to start demanding a higher level of quality from the products that they buy. At least software can be upgraded with a quick software download that probably won't physically damage the PC in the process, hardware needs to be held to an even higher standard than that because it's such a royal pain to get repaired.

Well, time to watch my little 20" CRT as I've been doing for over 3 weeks. I'll remind myself that this is OK because new technology is always buggy and I was a foolish to expect a $4000 to turn on when I turn it on!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anyone with problems has more than a right to be upset, but the existence of the horror stories does not by itself mean this is a bad set or that people shouldn't buy it. Although people have thrown around numbers like 1% or 20% for the number of defects, no one really knows. I've had mine for only a week, but love it and have had no problems and know others in the same boat (who are much less likely to post than people with problems). If there's one problem for every 1,000 sets (and I'm not saying the number's that low or that high), that would seem to be ok. The problem is that no one knows what the % is, what the % is on the fix working, etc.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If you are inclined towards a 43" Samsung DLP, do it quick because that size is being retired in the 2004 DLP models.

In the 2004 DLP Models ( http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html ), LG is the only one who has announced a 44" model. The next smallest is a 46" from Samsung.

I agree with you that 35" to 45" range is a difficult range if you don't want the burn-in of plasma, bulk of a CRT, and the high price of an LCD panel. My bedroom needs a 40" set, and looks like that spot won't be filled anytime soon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madlin
Anyone with problems has more than a right to be upset, but the existence of the horror stories does not by itself mean this is a bad set or that people shouldn't buy it. Although people have thrown around numbers like 1% or 20% for the number of defects, no one really knows. I've had mine for only a week, but love it and have had no problems and know others in the same boat (who are much less likely to post than people with problems). If there's one problem for every 1,000 sets (and I'm not saying the number's that low or that high), that would seem to be ok. The problem is that no one knows what the % is, what the % is on the fix working, etc.
We might not know the percentage but there's no justification to dismiss this obvious design flaw as an acceptable rate. If this flaw was in line with defects in other TVs then we'd see 96 page threads discussions for every other TV series in this general class. We do not. If this flaw was even in line with the set's other major issues like dead pixels, hazing and the rest then each of those other problems should also be accompanied with large threads. They are not because those defects are nowhere near as common.

Go to any forum you can find on the net that contains discussions on HD televisions and any discussion related to the Grand Wega series of televisions will contain post after post of reports on the bulb failure. These reports will likely outnumber other defects 10 to 1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.