AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't know if you're coming from a PC background (in which case your complaint would make sense) but "saving-anywhere" isn't very common in console games. None of the best FPS of late 2006, from Resistance to Gears of War to Rainbow Six Vegas to Call of Duty 3, allow you to save anywhere.

It used to be a limitation to memory cards that necessitated checkpoint saving, but now that we've pretty much switched to hard drives for console storage I'm glad we're still not able to save anywhere. My Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 experiences on PC were made considerably easier by being able to save between every footstep. There's something more intense about fighting forward with a sliver of health and not knowing when that magical "Checkpoint Reached" icon will flash next. It's just one less safety net. Just my preference anyway.

That said, some of the later checkpoints in Resistance were spaced uncomfortably far apart.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you could save anywhere...then checkpoints would be moot.

And as pointed out, don't know of ANY console FPS that allows you to save anywhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, I''m a PC guy. Notwithstanding that, R:FOM suprised me because the last console FPS I played, Prey, did allow game saves anywhere, unless my recollection is mistaken, so I took that to be the standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.