AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R.I.P. JL12W6... now what?

I finally killed my JL12W6 subs yesterday. The foam surrounds ripped off the cones while I was pressure washing my deck and listening to my system, well maybe a little too loud... The wife was at work so I cranked it. The Subs lived a good life and brought happiness to all who heard/ felt them. May they rest in peace or pieces. ( If anyone wants them to recone They are free for the taking just pay the shipping)

Time for a new DIY sub system I was hoping you guys could help point me in the right direction. Here are some of my requirements.

Good quality tight linear bass equally biased between music and HT

Loud and powerful of course, but I am willing to give a bit in overall spl for better quality tight and linear bass.

Room size is large since the space actually is a kitchen/ dinning/ living room with the entertainment system in one corner. Not Ideal I know but thats what I have to work with lets call it 600sq feet with 8 ft ceilings.

Box must fit in a cabinet 29" wide by 20" high and 20" deep. That limits me to approx 5.5 cubic ft.

Plate amp due to space restrictions

Price... looking for good value but realize you have to pay to play.

In the past Ive tended to use sealed boxes but could be talked into a ported design.

A few questions then:

What plate amps offer high power and good quality?

What drivers offer quality bass in an approx 5.5 cubic ft or smaller box (all the performance without the bling bling)

Ported or sealed ?

mauiguy100 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
May want your old subs for my boat system. Where do you live?

I got talked into a passive radiator design for sound quality and output. High sesitivity drivers that are of very good quality check out http://www.aespeakers.com/

Nate

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice one Nate. I almost forgot about that site. Another suggestion could be the Shiva-X and 500 watt O-audio plate amp from diycable.com. The Shiva-X is on sale, but I don't know how long for. I think it went on sale right after the Maelstrom-X weekend sale ended (which was about 2 weekends ago).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Go with a Rythmik DS1500, or two
They come in a kit with a 15" driver and a plate amp, servo controlled for tight clean bass. I just finished my first build. It whoops my SVS PB-12 Ultra in sound quality.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
The Exodus audio Maelstrom seems to be about the best value high power driver right now, it would probably cost about $450 shipped to you, after amplification, (EP2500 $300) and DSP (DEQ2496 $250) you are looking at $1000 in components, then you can spend however much you want on the cabinet and pocket the rest. If you can swing it, an acoupower 18 would also work very with the above described parts, unfortunately, I don't know if its in your budget http://acoupower.com/

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan /forum/post/14297366

Go with a Rythmik DS1500, or two
They come in a kit with a 15" driver and a plate amp, servo controlled for tight clean bass. I just finished my first build. It whoops my SVS PB-12 Ultra in sound quality.

Looks like two wouldn't fit in his cabinet. The Mal-X *may* be pushing it too...?

"Box must fit in a cabinet 29" wide by 20" high and 20" deep. "

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Mal X will fit perfect, I was even thinking about recommending 2 of them if he could afford dsp and amp, but I think one will work great in his smaller room.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14300084

The Exodus audio Maelstrom seems to be about the best value high power driver right now, it would probably cost about $450 shipped to you, after amplification, (EP2500 $300) and DSP (DEQ2496 $250) you are looking at $1000 in components, then you can spend however much you want on the cabinet and pocket the rest. If you can swing it, an acoupower 18 would also work very with the above described parts, unfortunately, I don't know if its in your budget http://acoupower.com/

He wants a plate amp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I had the space I would love a nice rack of crown amps and some huge subs but my cottage is small and the Waf factor limits me as far as space. luckily she lets me spend as I like so I'm not complaining. A Mal-x with the ed lt1300 looks like a winner to me. The Rythmick ds 1500 kit looks interesting but with only a 350 watt amp I wonder if it will have enough power. I've allways liked having lots of headroom in my amps.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
FWIW, DIYCable.com no longer lists the Maelstrom, and the Tempest X is on sale (I got one.) The Application Guide will tell you what to expect from a 5.65 ft^3 box, for comparison.

Frank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts