AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
He never took himself too seriously.....we will miss him!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I used to watch him before he did comedy...

·
Registered
14,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 /forum/post/19561239

I picked a bad day to stop crying.

That was Lloyd Bridges, not Leslie Nielsen. Nielsen will be remembered for "And don't call me Shirley" from the same film, 'Airplane.' Nielsen will be missed for sure.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
In the mid '80s, KTXL in Sacramento hired Leslie to do a series of news promos -- to this day, they are the ones people actually remember. Fortunately, I saved them, and the station has posted them on their website. I wasn't there the day they shot them, but by all accounts, he was one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet -- and absolutely hilarious even when the camera wasn't rolling. He will be missed, that's for sure.

If anyone cares to view them:

http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/115b4...-1980-s-Promos

http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/3a7b5...ielsen-Promo-2

·
Registered
10,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 /forum/post/19561238

I used to watch him before he did comedy...

I just saw an episode of the Fugitive he was in. Although it was supposed to be dramatic, it was impossible not to laugh. He played a kidnapper who was so inept he napped the wrong guy (Dr. Richard Kimble, of course). His character also had a bad leg that made me laugh every time he tried to waddle around.

Too bad Nielson realized his comic abilities so late in his career.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Who recalls the song from his first show: "swamp fox, swamp fox, tail on his hat...nobody knows where the swamp fox is at..."

That's my first memory of him from the Disney show Swamp Fox in the 50's.

·
Registered
28,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 /forum/post/19562449

He was one of those actors that you just want to sit down with and have a beer.

He was indeed. I actually did that once, back in the mid-eighties. Mr. Nielsen was in Charlotte playing in a local celebrity golf tournament, the "Freedom Classic" - mostly B and C listers, soap stars, that sort of thing. At the time I was working across the street from the Marriott where he was staying the weekend. Some co-workers and I occasionally had a drink at the bar after work and just happened to be there that day. I saw a guy who, from the back, sure did look like Leslie Nielsen, so I went up to the bar for a closer look. Sure enough, it was him. I introduced myself, said I was a big fan, and offered to buy him a beer. Instead, he bought me one! We talked for about 20 minutes, and I asked him what his most enjoyable role in his long career was. He said 'Police Squad', the 6 episode comedic hurricane that may have been the funniest thing ever to appear on TV, with sight gags 2 or 3 layers deep in some scenes. It might have had the highest gag-per-minute count ever, I'd wager. He told me it was a ball making those 6 episodes but "America just wasn't ready for it" at the time. I just read a quote in an obit article where he said much the same thing: "It didn't belong on TV. It had the kind of humor you had to pay attention to."

When I left him, I promised to follow him on the course during the tournament the next day. He smiled and said I'd better wear a hard hat. Sure enough, he shanked one and actually hit a person standing right next to me! Golf wasn't his strong suit, but he sure knew how to entertain a crowd as half the gallery must have been following his group.

Anyway, it was a very pleasant conversation and I was struck by how gracious and accommodating he was. A really terrific guy and a great actor. He will be missed.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Nice you did a thread for Leslie.. but it's NIELSEN not NIELSON..

Where's your Micael Jacson thread?

(all of the above said in a Leslie Nielsen comedy kind of way)

·
Registered
14,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill /forum/post/19563355

Surely this thread can't be serious.

We are serious. And don't call us Shirley.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Anne Francis (looking real good) on a TCM promo concerning Forbidden Planet and LN some years back shared that, when the cameras were not rolling, Nielsen and Walter Pidgeon entertained one another and whoever else was within earshot with the raunchiest limericks imaginable. Oh, to have been a fly on the Krell Labs wall.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl /forum/post/19563180

Too bad Nielson realized his comic abilities so late in his career.

He realized it, it was the Hollywood producers who wouldn't give him the roles. The stories of him are he was a practical joker and clown from way back but his good looks and deep voice type cast him for most of his career. It was the Zucker Brothers and Abrahams that actually cast him in his first comedic role parodying his serious roles in "Airplane!" when he was all but forgotten as a leading man.

I remember seeing that film in the theater when it was first released and was completely speechless and LMAO when Nielsen came on screen with the "Shirley" line. It was so completely opposite from what he had ever done on screen before. That and the fact he had great comedic timing is what did it. He never had a serious role again after that movie. He was from then on cast in comedic roles. It is amazing how many people do not remember his serious roles now. For those of us old enough, it was a shock when he started to do comedy roles. It shows just how versatile of an actor he really was and how Hollywood can be so narrow sighted in actors ability.

I always enjoyed his performances and if Police Squad, series or films are on, I will stop and watch them and LMAO everything.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
a funny, funny guy. he was one of a kind.

losing leslie and kirschner the same time sucks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.