AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ryan,

The disc is very nice, thank you. :)

Some of the patterns look more accurate, and will be more reliable.
However, the biggest difference from the USB is the speed of Loading.
For grayscale sweeps, the next frame is almost instantaneous, well worth the cost.

Eric

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for responding, absolutely understand your concern.

Unfortunately the mastered version is outside my budget. I will purchase the digital files when I can.

Regards,

The digital files work well. But if you have to connect a USB drive directly to your tv like myself you'll have to get out of your white balance settings to navigate the USB file then navigate your menu to get back into the white balance settings for each ire calibration. Plus your tv will go in and out of hdr with the files. This will add a lot of time to your calibration and it gets cumbersome. The extra $ the disc is over the files is worth it and the disc will save you some headaches and time(by being able to control the patterns with out having to exit the white balance settings and your tv not switching in and out of hdr).

Fwiw I originally opted for the files to see if I could get by with them and save some $$. I ended up purchasing the disc in the end.

Just my experience with the files. My disc comes in Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
For those of us with earlier 4K HDR TVs, and can only calibrate the 2 Point, 30 (Offset) and 100% (Gain), the files are fine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There actually is a problem with the disc. At least with my setup there is. None of the "Resolution Patterns" work in "Miscellaneous Patterns | Menu 2". When playing any and all of those patterns there's nothing but static/noise on the screen. Occasionally it will flicker for a second, and show what supposed to be displayed, then it reverts back to static/noise. I've tried most patterns on the disc, and so far these are the only ones that don't work.

My setup:

65E6P & Xbox 1S

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
There actually is a problem with the disc. At least with my setup there is. None of the "Resolution Patterns" work in "Miscellaneous Patterns | Menu 2". When playing any and all of those patterns there's nothing but static/noise on the screen. Occasionally it will flicker for a second, and show what supposed to be displayed, then it reverts back to static/noise. I've tried most patterns on the disc, and so far these are the only ones that don't work.

My setup:

65E6P & Xbox 1S
Hi Jestered,

I tested a few different disc's across multiple configurations and I can't seem to replicate the issue on my end. The 65E6P should have no issues with resolving and/or displaying these resolution patterns. It looks as though it may be an Xbox 1S decoder issue. I currently do not have a Xbox 1S on hand to test. However, I will try to pick one up.

Test configurations

LG 65B6 / Oppo 203
LG 65B6 / Samsung K8500
LG 65B6 / Panasonic UB900

Sony XBR65X850 / Oppo 203
Sony XBR65X850 / Samsung K8500
Sony XBR65X850 / Panasonic UB900

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi Jestered,

I tested a few different disc's across multiple configurations and I can't seem to replicate the issue on my end. The 65E6P should have no issues with resolving and/or displaying these resolution patterns. It looks as though it may be an Xbox 1S decoder issue. I currently do not have a Xbox 1S on hand to test. However, I will try to pick one up.

- Ryan M.
I do have another question that may or may not help with this. Can you tell me what exactly the menu thumbnail for the resolution patterns is? Is it a live video/preview of the patterns inside the thumbnail? The reason I ask is because when I'm on the page with the resolution patterns, the resolution patterns thumbnail appears to have 6 or 7 resolution patterns inside and they appear to be "playing". Basically the little thumbnail also has static/noise patterns that appear to be playing because there's the same static/noise movement inside the thumbnail that I see when playing any of the actual patterns. I'm curious if the thumbnail is a still image, or is there actual video playing there.

Thanks for looking into this and let me know if there's anything I can do to help with it.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
I do have another question that may or may not help with this. Can you tell me what exactly the menu thumbnail for the resolution patterns is? Is it a live video/preview of the patterns inside the thumbnail? The reason I ask is because when I'm on that menu, the resolution patterns thumbnail appears to have 6 or 7 resolution patterns inside and they appear to be "playing". Basically the little thumbnail also has static/noise patterns that appear to be playing. I'm curious if the thumbnail is a still image, or is there actual video playing there.

Thanks for looking into this and let me know if there's anything I can do to help with it.
Hi Jestered,

That is odd. No, all the menu thumbnails are static images of the original content scaled down. If you have my digital download files, you could test the resolution patterns directly through your 65E6P, as these are the same HEVC files used within my authoring. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I'll be using the disc on my Xbox One S and LG OLED this weekend to test the accuracy of the Xbox UHD player so I'll give the resolution patterns a try as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'll be able to try the Phillips bdp 7501 when my disc arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'll be using the disc on my Xbox One S and LG OLED this weekend to test the accuracy of the Xbox UHD player so I'll give the resolution patterns a try as well.
I look forward to hearing if you experience the same thing I am.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What is the difference in the LG OLED patterns compared to the patterns in the ChromaPure sections? I generally use the ChormaPure software to calibrate my OLED. Is it best to use the LG or the ChromaPure patterns?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I posted this on the LightSpace thread, but thought I should add it here as well...

I ran a compare with LS Connect patterns and those on the Masciola HDR-10 test disc, with the Amazon firestick connected to input A on the HDfury Linker and the Oppo 205 UHD player plugged into input B.

For HDR peak brightness (255, 255, 255) I get two different readings.

The LS Connect pattern (via the firestick) shows reading of 561 Nits. The same 100% white pattern on the Masciola disc gives a value of 603 Nits.

I'm running the firestick in upscale mode and the Oppo in Pass-Thru mode, so outputs are the same.

Any idea why there's 40 Nits difference?

Edit: the display shows 4K, 60 Hz, HDR10 with both sources, and I'm using 10% windows

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
NHT, PSA, Denon, Emotiva, Niles, Sony, Oppo, Roku, Alienware, Mac, Rega, Akai, Parasound, Nakamichi
2,003 Posts
Thanks Ryan!

I received my disk on Monday and just tried it out today. All patterns work well and will do the calibration hopefully this weekend. Equipment: Sony XBR75 X940D and OPPO UDP-203. Using a X-Rite i1 Display Pro.

I also received earlier the BD that I had also ordered version to calibrate regular BD players in home (and family/friends).

Thanks a lot for all your work and effort!

Ray

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I posted this on the LightSpace thread, but thought I should add it here as well...

I ran a compare with LS Connect patterns and those on the Masciola HDR-10 test disc, with the Amazon firestick connected to input A on the HDfury Linker and the Oppo 205 UHD player plugged into input B.

For HDR peak brightness (255, 255, 255) I get two different readings.

The LS Connect pattern (via the firestick) shows reading of 561 Nits. The same 100% white pattern on the Masciola disc gives a value of 603 Nits.

I'm running the firestick in upscale mode and the Oppo in Pass-Thru mode, so outputs are the same.

Any idea why there's 40 Nits difference?

Edit: the display shows 4K, 60 Hz, HDR10 with both sources, and I'm using 10% windows
How do you get HDR from the firetv stick? AFAIK you can't so that would be the difference.

For that matter, the firetv stick can't display UHD. Unless you have a beta version of the unreleased new firetv stick, you are comparing 4K HDR with HD SDR.

·
Registered
524 Posts
the firestick is connected to HDfury Linker device, which upscales to 4K and HDR.
firestick>>RGB>>Linker>>YCbCr>>TV or
firestick>>RGB>>Linker>>RGB>>TV

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can the disc be used to caliberate SDR profiles on a 4k tv? or the disc only enables HDR caliberation?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
At present, the Linker is outputting YCbCr, but after reading the LightSpace Connection thread, I think it's just a setting in LightSpace that I've overlooked and it's resulting in the pattern clipping above 235.

I hope to hear from LS on this tomorrow. Thanks.

921 - 940 of 1915 Posts