AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
i1display Pro is about $239. (Get the 2017 version - it's faster in the Black Regions.) Have a friend in Canada? Get them to buy it, since it will be cheaper when paid with US $s. Postage may be an added factor. Customs - it's a gift.

I don't think you can eye ball calibrate HDR!
I thought Ahro did "eye ball" calibrating? :eek:

Reactions: poppagene

·
Registered
10,618 Posts

·
Registered
10,618 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Due to the number of requests, I now offer my UHD/HDR digital download files and UltraHD Blu-ray disc in a bundled package, now located on the purchase page of my website HERE. Thanks!

- Ryan M.
Thanks for that! I just picked up the bundle.

I wanted to also confirm that I can use a ColorMunki Display with these patterns for HDR (I've read that it's essentially a repackaged i1Display Pro with a firmware lock to slow down reads).

Thanks for your hard work and for listening to the community!

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks! I edited usercolors.csv and entered the 8 bit colors and labeled them with the code values that will appear in the menu for LG OLED 2016->HDR Standard Mode->White Balance->20 Point Code sequences. I attached it here as a text file for others to use if they like.
Dmarty, mascior pointed me to this as I'm now trying to calibrate HDR on my LG c6 with his patterns. I edited the usercolors.csv per your txt file figures but it's not changing what's displayed in HCFR's grayscale. I'm supposed to select user defined in color checker on preferences after selecting Rec2020 and SMPTE 2084 right? Is the csv file supposed to be renamed? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I need to go back to the official version of HCFR as I was using the newer mod provided by The Coolest, which enables Chromecast to work for SDR.

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Dmarty, mascior pointed me to this as I'm now trying to calibrate HDR on my LG c6 with his patterns. I edited the usercolors.csv per your txt file figures but it's not changing what's displayed in HCFR's grayscale. I'm supposed to select user defined in color checker on preferences after selecting Rec2020 and SMPTE 2084 right? Is the csv file supposed to be renamed?
If you're using this approach, then you need to run the Color Checker Sweep (Measures->Saturations->Color Checker) instead of Gray Scale. However, you still need to first measure the White.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you're using this approach, then you need to run the Color Checker Sweep (Measures->Saturations->Color Checker) instead of Gray Scale. However, you still need to first measure the White.
Oh weird. So it'll show the labels for the LG codes there? But what if I wanted to actually measure color checker? I'd have to re-edit the numbers in the csv?

EDIT: Also, when you saw measure the white, you mean the highest code value LG has on the grayscale (668) right?

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Oh weird. So it'll show the labels for the LG codes there? But what if I wanted to actually measure color checker? I'd have to re-edit the numbers in the csv?
It's not really weird as that's how hcfr uses the csv file. It will show the labels for the LG codes as heading.

When you want to measure an actual colour checker, just select a standard one in Preferences. No need to edit the csv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the information, I thought there was something wrong with my ColorMunki.

I've been attempting to calibrate HDR Standard on my LG OLED E6 via HFCR and Xbox One S.
  • When I change any value a single point in the white balance for slide 127 my entire screen visibly shifts colors.

• I've tried leaving 127 as-is and I'm able to successfully calibrate white balance for 254, 320, 386, and 419.
  • However, when I check the standard grayscale test patterns, anything beyond 15% looks extremely red.

Just to clarify, does this mean that my TV's code alignment is way off? Does anyone know of a good way to fix the alignment without a service remote?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
I've been attempting to calibrate HDR Standard on my LG OLED E6 via HFCR and Xbox One S.
  • When I change any value a single point in the white balance for slide 127 my entire screen visibly shifts colors.

• I've tried leaving 127 as-is and I'm able to successfully calibrate white balance for 254, 320, 386, and 419.

• However, when I check the standard grayscale test patterns, anything beyond 15% looks extremely red.

Just to clarify, does this mean that my TV's code alignment is way off? Does anyone know of a good way to fix the alignment without a service remote?

Hi, ignore 127 adjustment to E6, there other adjustment steps which require careful adjustment, don't try to fix luminance errors, focus to fix RGB balance errors only, because large adjustments will introduce problems in grayscale/color ramps-shades/discoloration etc. Each adjustment control has it's own safe working range, it need a lot of testing beyond patterns to see if real content don't have issues also.

The internal controls vs. digital levels LG has posted for 2016 OLED's patterns have no alignment.

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
Next up, Dolby Vision patterns?

Reactions: mmdd

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Thanks for the information, I thought there was something wrong with my ColorMunki.

You really need to go read the E6... calibration thread. We talked about this last year a lot. Really old news and Ted is correct on the response. :)

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Anyone using the disc with an Xbox One S?

For some reason if I use the Black Clipping pattern the near black bars (1% up to 8%) show up as solid colors (Red, Green, Blue).

If I use an actual solid pattern and measure, it looks and measures normal. I also used a USB with the patterns playing directly from the TV and Black Clipping looks like normal.

Pretty sure it's an Xbox playback issue but wanted to see if others experienced this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Added Patterns

02. Black Clipping_2_HEVC_HDR10 (mp4/ts)
01. White Clipping_1_HEVC_HDR10 (mp4/ts)
02. White Clipping_2_HEVC_HDR10 (mp4/ts)
03. White Clipping 80-100_HEVC_HDR10 (mp4/ts)

New Pattern Suite File sizes

UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.ts/.mp4) unzipped 4.26 GB (4,585,152,888 bytes)
UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.ts/.mp4) zipped 1.44 GB (1,548,884,918 bytes)

Thank you for your continued support!

-Ryan

Added patterns:

01. White Clipping_1_HEVC_HDR10

02. White Clipping_2_HEVC_HDR10

03. White Clipping 80-100_HEVC_HDR10

02. Black Clipping_2_HEVC_HDR10

If 100 nits is about 51% in the pattern just curious what would .005, .05, 5, 10 and 50 nits be in terms of % ?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #978

If 100 nits is about 51% in the pattern just curious what would .005, .05, 5, 10 and 50 nits be in terms of % ?
Hi Frank,

Here are a few nit/percentage examples. Thanks!

.001 (0.78%)

.005 (1.55%)

.05 (4.63%)

1 (15%)

5 (24.79%)

10 (29.97%)

50 (44.03%)

100 (50.81%)

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
@mascior

Any chance you have an Xbox One S to test the Black Clipping pattern on or access to one conveniently?

Just trying to see if the colored near black bars issue I described above show up on other systems as well.

What's weird is near black window patterns all appear normal except 3% black is tinted dark red. I can also see faint colored near black lines playing the grayscale ramp pattern on the Xbox as well.

If I play your HDR patterns off my USB stick directly from my LG TV using the same picture settings these colored near black issues don't show up. Trying to narrow it down to a possible encoding issue or something weird in how the Xbox handles near black.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #980
@mascior

Any chance you have an Xbox One S to test the Black Clipping pattern on or access to one conveniently?

Just trying to see if the colored near black bars issue I described above show up on other systems as well.

What's weird is near black window patterns all appear normal except 3% black is tinted dark red. I can also see faint colored near black lines playing the grayscale ramp pattern on the Xbox as well.

If I play your HDR patterns off my USB stick directly from my LG TV using the same picture settings these colored near black issues don't show up. Trying to narrow it down to a possible encoding issue or something weird in how the Xbox handles near black.

Thanks!

I should have a chance to test on a One S today, though I am confident that the anomalies being displayed are caused by your XBox. However, I would like to see if it's a configuration adjustment or an issue across all XBox One S units. I since tested my black clipping, near black, and grayscale ramp patterns on my Oppo BDP-203 and Samsung K8500 via disc and USB with no issues, when displayed on my LG B6. I will keep you updated. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

961 - 980 of 1915 Posts