AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1915 Posts

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I should have a chance to test on a One S today, though I am confident that the anomalies being displayed are caused by your XBox. However, I would like to see if it's a configuration adjustment or an issue across all XBox One S units. I since tested my black clipping, near black, and grayscale ramp patterns on my Oppo BDP-203 and Samsung K8500 via disc and USB with no issues, when displayed on my LG B6. I will keep you updated. Thanks!

- Ryan M.
Thanks!

I too assume it is an Xbox issue but would be curious if it's a random instance with my setup or just something insurmountable with the Xbox itself.

If it's the latter, hopefully the Xbox X fixes it :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #982
Thanks!

I too assume it is an Xbox issue but would be curious if it's a random instance with my setup or just something insurmountable with the Xbox itself.

If it's the latter, hopefully the Xbox X fixes it :)

I was able to conduct some testing yesterday evening and I could not replicate the issue. However, I am not 100% convinced that this is a one-off type anomaly...configuration, maybe. The test setup was a XBox One S connected directly to an LG B6, all at factory default settings. Have you attempted resetting your displays configuration to default? Does your XBox One S route through an AVR first before hitting your display? Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I was able to conduct some testing yesterday evening and I could not replicate the issue. However, I am not 100% convinced that this is a one-off type anomaly...configuration, maybe. The test setup was a XBox One S connected directly to an LG B6, all at factory default settings. Have you attempted resetting your displays configuration to default? Does your XBox One S route through an AVR first before hitting your display? Thanks!

- Ryan M.
The issue is apparent with all LG HDR default picture settings. I also tried using 8, 10, and 12 bit settings on the Xbox.

But my Xbox is connected to a Yamaha RX-A2060. I'll hook the Xbox directly to the LG and see if it still happens. If not, it would imply an issue with the Yamaha (even though I have it set to Direct pass through for video).

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The issue is apparent with all LG HDR default picture settings. I also tried using 8, 10, and 12 bit settings on the Xbox.

But my Xbox is connected to a Yamaha RX-A2060. I'll hook the Xbox directly to the LG and see if it still happens. If not, it would imply an issue with the Yamaha (even though I have it set to Direct pass through for video).

Would be nice if you could access a different uhd Bluray player. To see if the results are consistant or isolated to your Xbox.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Would be nice if you could access a different uhd Bluray player. To see if the results are consistant or isolated to your Xbox.

Hopefully when I hook it up directly to the LG the issue will be resolved which means it's something to do with my Yamaha settings so I can at least have the problem narrowed down

·
Registered
6,042 Posts

- Ryan M.

Figured it out...kind of.

Just hooked the Xbox directly to the LG and reset all picture settings (including my service menu adjustments). Was still getting the colored near black issue though I noticed it was lesser on HDR Bright and even lesser on HDR Vivid. Besides Color Temp the big difference between the three HDR modes is the Color setting (Standard is 55, Bright is 60, Vivid is 70).

So I set the LG to HDR Standard and played with the Color setting. Going above 55 does nothing. But as soon as I went from 50 to 49 there was an immediate change to near black: all the bars that were colored switched to normal gray shades. And the pattern itself actually got slightly brighter (more near black detail). It was literally like breaking a wall. Absolutely no change from 55 down to 50. But as soon as I hit 49 everything looked normal.

It still seems like this is strictly an issue with my Xbox One S as playing your patterns off USB on my LG has none of these issues. Going to redo my calibration with Color of 49 and see what happens. Maybe when my Xbox One X arrives it won't have this issue.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
@mascior

Just from your expertise in authoring these patterns and getting the discs encoded, what I'm experiencing wouldn't be a disc mastering issue right?

Just wanted to ask because I wasn't sure how mastering issues present themselves or if it's like an HDMI cable where either it works or it doesn't.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #988
@mascior

Just from your expertise in authoring these patterns and getting the discs encoded, what I'm experiencing wouldn't be a disc mastering issue right?

Just wanted to ask because I wasn't sure how mastering issues present themselves or if it's like an HDMI cable where either it works or it doesn't.

Thanks!

No encoding took place during the authoring of this disc, just muxing. All the patterns utilized within the disc are the same exact files used within the downloadable version. All 1,300+ files are encoded H.265/.hevc files that can be muxed into any number of container, mp4, ts, mkv, m2ts (which is what's used for authoring) and so on. The variances you see (USB vs Disc) are solely based on the playback device's decoder and it's ability to decipher the stream properly. I guarantee, if the XBox One S had the ability to playback HEVC encoded streams via USB...you would see the same anomaly. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
No encoding took place during the authoring of this disc, just muxing. All the patterns utilized within the disc are the same exact files used within the downloadable version. All 1,300+ files are encoded H.265/.hevc files that can be muxed into any number of container, mp4, ts, mkv, m2ts (which is what's used for authoring) and so on. The variances you see (USB vs Disc) are solely based on the playback device's decoder and it's ability to decipher the stream properly. I guarantee, if the XBox One S had the ability to playback HEVC encoded streams via USB...you would see the same anomaly. Thanks!

- Ryan M.
Thanks! Just thought I'd ask for the sake of learning.

As always, your "customer" service and quick replies are fantastic!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a short question, did not find the answer or maybe I am blind.
If I buy the digital files, is it possible to make a disc with them? I mean with the menue and so on... Is it an ISO-File?

And is a DVD enough or do I need a BluRay Disc?

Sorry for the noob-questions...

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
If I buy the digital files, is it possible to make a disc with them? I mean with the menue and so on... Is it an ISO-File?

The digital files aren't an ISO, so you can't burn a disc from them. They have to be run from a USB thumb drive. And a DVD is nowhere big enough.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The disc says that the MacCLL and Mastering display luminance is 1000 cd/m2 and min luminance is .0005.

Also MaxFALL 400 cd/m2.

Can you please explain what the above items mean? If the max is 1000 cd/m2 or nits then how do you get patterns above this 1000 cd/m2 max nit amt ie hitting up to 10,000 nits?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
The disc says that the MacCLL and Mastering display luminance is 1000 cd/m2 and min luminance is .0005.

Also MaxFALL 400 cd/m2.

Can you please explain what the above items mean? If the max is 1000 cd/m2 or nits then how do you get patterns above this 1000 cd/m2 max nit amt ie hitting up to 10,000 nits?
The 1000 nits is the maximum luminance for the display used to master the content, and the min luminance is how dark its black is. This doesn't mean you can't have a pattern with the code value for 10K nits on the disc. Your set just won't be able to reproduce it. In fact, no current display can reach that luminance level. But that is part of the HDR ST 2084 spec, and some day you may have a display that can do it. So it doesn't hurt to have a pattern for it. This can also be used in measuring the levels which a display can resolve in its tone mapping (i.e., whether details at higher brightness levels are simply clipped/not shown or the display attempts to make them visible within the limits of what it can do).
IIRC, MaxFALL is "Maximum Frame Average Light Level", and is the maximum average light level achieved by any frame of the video, including the highlights. MaxCLL is "Maximum Content Light Level", and is the luminance of the brightest pixel found in the content.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
The 1000 nits is the maximum luminance for the display used to master the content, and the min luminance is how dark its black is. This doesn't mean you can't have a pattern with the code value for 10K nits on the disc. Your set just won't be able to reproduce it. In fact, no current display can reach that luminance level. But that is part of the HDR specs, and some day you may have a display that can do it. So it doesn't hurt to have a pattern for it. This can also be used in measuring the levels which a display can resolve in its tone mapping (i.e., whether details at higher brightness levels are simply clipped/not shown or the display attempts to make them visible within the limits of what it can do).
IIRC, MaxFALL is "Maximum Frame Average Light Level", and sets the maximum average light level for each frame of video, including the highlights. MaxCLL is "Maximum Content Light Level", and the value for the brightest pixel found in the content.
AFAIK it's the brightest sub-pixel (R, G or B), not pixel (RGB triplet).

·
Registered
5,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
The article I found explains it thusly: "Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) is additional static HDR metadata that corresponds to the brightest pixel in the entire stream. The MaxCLL metadata is represented in nits."

See https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hdr-10-metadata-smpte-st2086-maxfall-maxcll-carlos-carmona
Thanks. I've always heard @ConnecTEDDD mention sub-pixel, for example here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...r-calibration-discussion-25.html#post52828705 so I thought he was correct (as he usually is).

I wouldn't trust any article, but checking the ST2084 white paper from the SMPTE here https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/Study Group On High-Dynamic-Range-HDR-Ecosystem.pdf seems to confirm that MaxCLL defines the brightest pixel not sub-pixel (see E.2.2.4 P42):

"E.2.2.4 Maximum Content Light Level
The Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) is an additional Static Metadata item that applies to HDR Content
only. Maximum Content Light Level corresponds to the brightest pixel in the entire stream."

Maybe Ted can give us his reference? It would be good to know for sure, as it looks like I was mistaken. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I may have missed it but for the lg 2017 oled can you use the chroma pure or hfcr hdr slides now that lg has defined the adjustment as 1-21 etc instead of the 2016 naming convention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Not an iso. After you download and extract the files, you will find a folder for TS images and a folder for MP4 images. you can burn both to a blu ray disc or choose one or the other to burn to a blank dvd. They will be data disks so no menu. You will have to navigate through the file structure to get to the test patterns you are looking for. I find using a usb drive easier, but have also burned the files to a blank dvd and they worked fine as described.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #999
I may have missed it but for the lg 2017 oled can you use the chroma pure or hfcr hdr slides now that lg has defined the adjustment as 1-21 etc instead of the 2016 naming convention.

Hi Jay,

LG is still utilizing their own grayscale methodology and naming convention for HDR within their 2017 OLED model lineup. However, it has been updated from their 2016 implementation. You can reference the new code based patterns HERE. My last digital file update has these patterns available within the LG OLED Patterns file folder. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi Jay,

LG is still utilizing their own grayscale methodology and naming convention for HDR within their 2017 OLED model lineup. However, it has been updated from their 2016 implementation. You can reference the new code based patterns HERE. My last digital file update has these patterns available within the LG OLED Patterns file folder. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

Ok is this update on the disc as well? I may not have noticed it since I haven’t had to look for a 2017 slide till now

981 - 1000 of 1915 Posts