AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1931 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,001
Ok is this update on the disc as well? I may not have noticed it since I haven’t had to look for a 2017 slide till now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, the 2017 patterns did not make it onto the disc, only the 2016 were implemented. The disc was already past the phase of add-ons and/or additions. Thanks!

- Ryan M

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Thanks. I've always heard @ConnecTEDDD mention sub-pixel, for example here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...r-calibration-discussion-25.html#post52828705 so I thought he was correct (as he usually is).

I wouldn't trust any article, but checking the ST2084 white paper from the SMPTE here https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/Study Group On High-Dynamic-Range-HDR-Ecosystem.pdf seems to confirm that MaxCLL defines the brightest pixel not sub-pixel (see E.2.2.4 P42):

"E.2.2.4 Maximum Content Light Level
The Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL) is an additional Static Metadata item that applies to HDR Content
only. Maximum Content Light Level corresponds to the brightest pixel in the entire stream."

Maybe Ted can give us his reference? It would be good to know for sure, as it looks like I was mistaken. :)
Hi Manni, look @ page 44 of the PDF, it says how MaxCLL is calculated.

setmaxRGB= max(R,G,B) , so the max is one of the R or G or B value.

For MaxCLL interpretation, the unit is equivalent to cd/m2 when the brightest pixel in the entire video stream has the chromaticity of the white point of the encoding system used to represent the video stream. Since the value of MaxCLL is computed with a max() mathematical
operator, it is possible that the true CIE Y Luminance value is less than the MaxCLL value. This situation may occur when there are very bright blue saturated pixels in the stream, which may dominate the max(R,G,B) calculation, but since the blue channel is an approximately 10%
contributor to the true CIE Y Luminance, the true CIE Y Luminance value of the example blue pixel would be only approximately 10% of the MaxCLL value.

So if the brightness sub-pixel is blue, its not really be as bright in nits as the MaxCLL number is showing.

Stacey Spears mentioned this @ 26:13 of the following video:

·
Premium Member
10,029 Posts
Hi Manni, look @ page 44 of the PDF, it says how MaxCLL is calculated.

setmaxRGB= max(R,G,B) , so the max is one of the R or G or B value.

For MaxCLL interpretation, the unit is equivalent to cd/m2 when the brightest pixel in the entire video stream has the chromaticity of the white point of the encoding system used to represent the video stream. Since the value of MaxCLL is computed with a max() mathematical
operator, it is possible that the true CIE Y Luminance value is less than the MaxCLL value. This situation may occur when there are very bright blue saturated pixels in the stream, which may dominate the max(R,G,B) calculation, but since the blue channel is an approximately 10%
contributor to the true CIE Y Luminance, the true CIE Y Luminance value of the example blue pixel would be only approximately 10% of the MaxCLL value.

So if the brightness sub-pixel is blue, its not really be as bright in nits as the MaxCLL number is showing.

Stacey Spears mentioned this @ 26:13 of the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcLWK4k62T0
Thanks Ted, that's what I had in mind, I guess I stopped reading the paper two pages too early :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
@mascior - I see that you recently had a Xbox One S to do some testing of the disc with. Did you by chance look at the resolution patterns I mentioned a while back? Basically they are all "static-y" when playing through the One S on my LG E6. Let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006 (Edited)
@mascior - I see that you recently had a Xbox One S to do some testing of the disc with. Did you by chance look at the resolution patterns I mentioned a while back? Basically they are all "static-y" when playing through the One S on my LG E6. Let me know. Thanks!
Hi Jestered,

The same anomaly that you experienced within your setup, was present during my testing as well. It sounds as though there maybe an issue with the XBOX One S decoder, as I have not experienced this on any other UltraHD player. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ryan,

Is there any particular reason why the 2017 codes do not numerically line up with the 21 point codes in the LG WB menus? I didn't see how any of the 540/1000/4000 slides match numerically. Is there a setting on the LG that specifies what nit level perhaps?

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Ryan,

Is there any particular reason why the 2017 codes do not numerically line up with the 21 point codes in the LG WB menus? I didn't see how any of the 540/1000/4000 slides match numerically. Is there a setting on the LG that specifies what nit level perhaps?
IIRC, the code values LG listed in their document are themselves incorrect.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ok I just went with what I New would be 100/5 for a two point. As far as greyscale for 20 pt goes they were all under 1.0 after very minor adjustments in the 2pt.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010
Ryan,

Ok I just went with what I New would be 100/5 for a two point. As far as greyscale for 20 pt goes they were all under 1.0 after very minor adjustments in the 2pt.

Hi jayraysaiz,

It looks as though LG is still utilizing full range HDR code values (0-669/1023) vs the limited range code values (64-657/940) that should have been implemented. I only offer the limited range values within my current revision. However, I will most likely add the full range code values to align with current software. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hi jayraysaiz,

It looks as though LG is still utilizing full range HDR code values (0-669/1023) vs the limited range code values (64-657/940) that should have been implemented. I only offer the limited range values within my current revision. However, I will most likely add the full range code values to align with current software. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

Thanks that would’ve awesome! When do you think this will roll out?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012
Thanks that would’ve awesome! When do you think this will roll out?

Possibly within the next two weeks. I am currently working on other updates for REV_017 as well, including more test footage at different nit levels and a few other miscellaneous test patterns. I am also working on DV patterns in parallel...

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Possibly within the next two weeks. I am currently working on other updates for REV_017 as well, including more test footage at different nit levels and a few other miscellaneous test patterns. I am also working on DV patterns in parallel...

- Ryan M.

Ryan do you know if any other software will support Dolby Vision calibration other than calman in the near future?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,014
Ryan do you know if any other software will support Dolby Vision calibration other than calman in the near future?

Not to my knowledge.

- Ryan M.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,015 (Edited)
R.Masciola's UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.ts/.mp4) update REV_017 released!

**NOTE: This revision was compresses with 7-Zip. To extract, please utilize the 7-Zip extracting utility found at http://www.7-zip.org/ (PC) or the Keka extracting utility found at http://www.kekaosx.com/ (MAC)

Description

Revision 17 brings numerous new test patterns, updates, and modifications to the suite:
-
  • Two new test footage patterns graded at 1,000 nit, displaying different color shades and skin tones.
  • The entire 2017 LG OLED “Full Range” code value set has been added to align with current firmware.
  • A new white clipping test pattern, encoded with four different peak nit values (1,000, 2,000, 4,000, & 10,000) were added. These patterns show how well your HDR enabled display applies tone mapping.
  • The Title slide within the “Basic Setup Patterns” section has been updated to reflect REV_017
  • A typo was corrected within the instruction manual

Modifications & Additions

Basic Setup Patterns

01. Title
-
  • Title_HDR10 (updated to reflect REV_017)

Miscellaneous Patterns

13. Test Footage
-
  • 07. Restaurant Scene_HDR10 (added)
  • 08. Indian Market_HDR10 (added)

14. LG OLED Test Patterns -> 2017 Code Values -> 01. Full Range ->
-
  • 01. Code Values 540 nit (Separate) (added)
  • 02. Code Values 540 nit (Combined) (added)
  • 03. Code Values 1000 nit (Separate) (added)
  • 04. Code Values 1000 nit (Combined) (added)
  • 05. Code Values 4000 nit (Separate) (added)
  • 06. Code Values 4000 nit (Combined) (added)

15. HDR Clipping Test Patterns
-
  • 11. White Clipping 1,000 nit_HDR10 (added)
  • 12. White Clipping 2,000 nit_HDR10 (added)
  • 13. White Clipping 4,000 nit_HDR10 (added)
  • 14. White Clipping 10,000 nit_HDR10 (added)

Pattern suite file sizes

UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.ts/.mp4) unzipped 6.45 GB (6,933,854,835 bytes)
UHD/HDR-10 Test Pattern Suite (.ts/.mp4) zipped 2.02 GB (2,175,489,628 bytes)

Thank you for your continued support!

-Ryan M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased your HDR10 Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc with the UHD test patterns. I am very happy with the product and also with how quickly the product shipped! Thank you very much for putting this together!

I was wondering if you could please help me identify which of the boxes, or between which boxes, would best represent 320 nit on the first white balance test pattern that lists boxes 502-756.

Thank you for your time!

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Is there any type of upgrade process for the disk that we can get for improvements when released? Understand that these don’t make it to disk right away. Thanks. SJ

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,019
Hello,

I recently purchased your HDR10 Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc with the UHD test patterns. I am very happy with the product and also with how quickly the product shipped! Thank you very much for putting this together!

I was wondering if you could please help me identify which of the boxes, or between which boxes, would best represent 320 nit on the first white balance test pattern that lists boxes 502-756.

Thank you for your time!
Hi DrRonPaul,

Thank you for the kind words. 320 nit would equal to 62.8728%, utilizing round nearest, patch/box "63% code value 616" would be the best representation. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020
Is there any type of upgrade process for the disk that we can get for improvements when released? Understand that these don’t make it to disk right away. Thanks. SJ
Hi SJHT,

Disc revisions would be very costly, especially when it comes to UltraHD Blu-ray production. However, I may provide incremental releases via ISO patch. This ISO would not provide the entire contents of the original authored disc, but revisions and updates. Existing customers would be entitled to this free patch upon request as a download. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

1001 - 1020 of 1931 Posts