AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
What is the file size of the download for the UHD/HDR patterns, not the demo?

The download is 2.02 GB, when you will unzip it will be 6.45 GB.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have purchased and downloaded the suite and see there are many patterns! What black, white, grayscale, colour patterns are recommended for my env of Epson 5040, i1d3 meter, and HCFR. If its of any help, in my env, Bright Cinema mode, BT.2020, HDR1, a 100% white pattern generated by HCFR gives 113 nits (33 ftl) on medium lamp and 150 nits (44 ftl) on high lamp. Thx

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Have purchased and downloaded the suite and see there are many patterns! What black, white, grayscale, colour patterns are recommended for my env of Epson 5040, i1d3 meter, and HCFR. If its of any help, in my env, Bright Cinema mode, BT.2020, HDR1, a 100% white pattern generated by HCFR gives 113 nits (33 ftl) on medium lamp and 150 nits (44 ftl) on high lamp. Thx
If you go into either the ts or mp4 folders you will find an HCFR workflow folder.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you go into either the ts or mp4 folders you will find an HCFR workflow folder.
Please excuse the newbie q's but is amplitude the same as luminance/brightness/stimulus/intensity? In using the basic CMS sweep 50 amp / 100 sat pattern from this suite, are HCFR (3.4.5) delta E and delta luminance numbers correct, as in HCFR is expecting this pattern and alas I adjust my CMS to bring these deltas down?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Please excuse the newbie q's but is amplitude the same as luminance? In using the basic CMS sweep 50 amp / 100 sat pattern from this suite, are HCFR (3.4.5) delta E and delta luminance numbers correct, as in HCFR is expecting this pattern and alas I adjust my CMS to bring these deltas down?
If you select Rec2020 (not Rec2020/P3) in HCFR, it will be expecting 50% amplitude and 100% saturation pattern.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Please excuse the newbie q's but is amplitude the same as luminance/brightness/stimulus?

Luminance, Amplitude, Stimulus Level....all these names means the same, Luminance Level of a color, looking a CIE Chromaticity Chart (which is 2-dimensional) with (xy) coordinates, Luminance (Y) errors are not visible, it's the 3rd dimension, but you will see the luminance errors reported by HCFR as dE Luminance +-x.x%.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the suite I see 3 different white clipping patterns under basic which cover level 502 (50%) up to 940 (100%). It will probably make sense when I get to use the suite with my projector but what's the goal of these patterns? For SDR it was have at least 230-234 flash and if possible up to 253 without discolouration etc. At a bit of a loss re HDR in how to actually set contrast.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In the suite I see 3 different white clipping patterns under basic which cover level 502 (50%) up to 940 (100%). It will probably make sense when I get to use the suite with my projector but what's the goal of these patterns? For SDR it was have at least 230-234 flash and if possible up to 253 without discolouration etc. At a bit of a loss re HDR in how to actually set contrast.
So finally got to load the white clipping patterns... with my contrast at 57, up to level 723 flashed and with contrast at 29, up to level 940 flashed. So do I set contrast to 57? Or how is contrast calibrated?

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
So finally got to load the white clipping patterns... with my contrast at 57, up to level 723 flashed and with contrast at 29, up to level 940 flashed. So do I set contrast to 57? Or how is contrast calibrated?
As per the instructions, you shouldn’t see any flasing above 75% stimulus. which represents 1000 nits.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050 (Edited)
Hi Viperlogic,

Please keep in mind that current HDR video calibration regarding consumer based projectors is a completely different animal in comparison to current flat panel display technologies, especially when it comes to peak nit output. The key element here is tone mapping and how well it is implemented. With that been said, HDR white clipping test patterns are utilized in a completely different manner in comparison to legacy SDR white clipping test patterns, which typically allow for end user adjustment. Theses new HDR white clipping test patterns are simply to be utilized as a point of reference and display how well your HDR enabled device applies tone mapping. These particular white clipping test patterns are set to 1,000 nit, with your display device set to its default contrast setting, should be able to resolve all the way up to flashing patch 712 (74%), with patch 723 (75.2%) completely blending into the background. It is typically recommended to leave the contrast setting at/or near its default setting, as any extreme adjustment could impact your over all tone mapping. Thanks!

- Ryan M.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
@mascior

I'm about to get a Sony X930E, which can get up to 1400nits or so.

Since the patterns on your disc are all mastered to 1000nits, how will this affect grayscale readings? As in, will a 100% white pattern top out at 1000nits or will the display tone map it to its max nits?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Curious, if the pattern is mastered to 1000nits, how does the TV know to tone map it to max nits capable?

Remember that two different things are happening. First, the content is encoded with digital values corresponding to the color and luminance level of each pixel according to the ST2084 PQ requirements. Second, the metadata simply tells the playback TV the capabilities of the display used to master the content and certain stats on the data being sent. It's more of a guide to the TV what to expect. It doesn't really adjust the TV's maximum capabilities. And the full luminance of the display is still reserved for highlights, not used for the vast majority of the content being played.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Remember that two different things are happening. First, the content is encoded with digital values corresponding to the color and luminance level of each pixel according to the ST2084 PQ requirements. Second, the metadata simply tells the playback TV the capabilities of the display used to master the content and certain stats on the data being sent. It's more of a guide to the TV what to expect. It doesn't really adjust the TV's maximum capabilities. And the full luminance of the display is still reserved for highlights, not used for the vast majority of the content being played.
Gotcha.

I understand that max nits is for highlights in real material, but when we calibrate a TV 100% white, whether for SDR or HDR, is supposed to max out the nits possible (according to the Brightness/Contrast/Backlight settings being used) right?

Hence me just double checking since before now my TV couldn't even go past 700nits for a 10% window but now I can nearly double that.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
There are actually two "maximum whites" that appear in HDR content. The first one is essentially the same as SDR 100% white, and is what is used for non-highlight white. The second is the maximum white of HDR highlights that can be up to 10K nits.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
There are actually two "maximum whites" that appear in HDR content. The first one is essentially the same as SDR 100% white, and is what is used for non-highlight white. The second is the maximum white of HDR highlights that can be up to 10K nits.
Thanks!

So just continue using the disc the same way I have been?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
@mascior

Another question, this time for the Sharpness pattern.

(The picture attached is from my laptop, not my TV but I circled the two areas of interest to discuss within the pattern.)

For some reason when adjusting the Sharpness on my Sony (x930e), the boxes outlined in yellow appear a tint of green at default Sharpness value of 50. Setting Sharpness to 60 changes the colors of the boxes to gray but they never become a uniform gray like how it should look (can still distinguish fine lines). Going over 60 and the boxes return to a green tint.

This behavior doesn't happen for SDR sharpness.

Any idea what's going on?

1041 - 1060 of 1931 Posts