AVS Forum banner

1921 - 1931 of 1931 Posts

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I just downloaded the HDR10 and Dolby Vision demo files. They worked fine over USB on my LG B7. The HDR10 patterns also worked fine via USB into my Panasonic UB820 (the .mp4 files, not the .ts files though), but it could not play the Dolby Vision files, as noted in some earlier posts. I guess that this also means that the Dolby Vision files won't be possible to play back on the UB820 if burnt to a Blu-ray disc? And what about the actual Blu-ray disc with the Dolby Vision patterns sold by DVS, will that work? @mascior ? Anyone?

I do not (yet) own a Blu-ray disc writer, so I can't test this myself, and I am hesitant to buy the Blu-ray disc from DVS without knowing if it will work.
I have no problem playing the Dolby Vision files on my Apple TV 4K, using the Infuse app. I see no reason why the disc version wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just downloaded the HDR10 and Dolby Vision demo files. They worked fine over USB on my LG B7. The HDR10 patterns also worked fine via USB into my Panasonic UB820 (the .mp4 files, not the .ts files though), but it could not play the Dolby Vision files, as noted in some earlier posts. I guess that this also means that the Dolby Vision files won't be possible to play back on the UB820 if burnt to a Blu-ray disc? And what about the actual Blu-ray disc with the Dolby Vision patterns sold by DVS, will that work? @mascior ? Anyone?

I do not (yet) own a Blu-ray disc writer, so I can't test this myself, and I am hesitant to buy the Blu-ray disc from DVS without knowing if it will work.
Even dv burnt on a disc it will not work. You can plug it directly into your tv port and it will work I believe. Works that way with my c8.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no problem playing the Dolby Vision files on my Apple TV 4K, using the Infuse app. I see no reason why the disc version wouldn’t work.
Thanks, that is good to know. However, the Apple TV 4K does not have bit accurate output, so it is not an ideal solution for calibration to my understanding, unless the ATV4K is your only source.

Even dv burnt on a disc it will not work. You can plug it directly into your tv port and it will work I believe. Works that way with my c8.
Yes, it works via USB into the TV, but that won't allow for calibration of HDMI sources..

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Thanks, that is good to know. However, the Apple TV 4K does not have bit accurate output, so it is not an ideal solution for calibration to my understanding, unless the ATV4K is your only source.
I was not suggesting that you use the ATV4K to calibrate your TV; I was simply using that to deduce that there’s nothing wrong with Ryan’s patterns.

Your original question was:
And what about the actual Blu-ray disc with the Dolby Vision patterns sold by DVS, will that work?

and my reply was

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was not suggesting that you use the ATV4K to calibrate your TV; I was simply using that to deduce that there’s nothing wrong with Ryan’s patterns. Since your original question was:
Sorry, I misunderstood you. What I want to know is if the issue I had is related to the UB820's ability play back Dolby Vision over USB, or whether it has to do with the UB820's ability to play back the Dolby Vision files in general (e.g. if there might be a mismatch between the Dolby Vision profile used to encode vs. decode the files).

EDIT: I just browsed the DVS website again, and I might have misunderstood things. There is no Blu-ray disc with the Dolby Vision patterns, is there? So, there might be no way for me to display those Dolby Vision patterns over HDMI?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Correct. DV profile 5 forces full range. You should be good to go. Thanks!

- Ryan M.
I have had troubles using the USB download of the Masciola's patterns calibrating the Dolby Vision WB on my 2018 LG OLED C8. The HDR is fine. Masciola's Dolby Vision 21 grey points test patterns are Full Range. I suspect all LG OLED TV Dolby Vision only reads Limited Range from its USB port which creates huge mismatch. I do not have a DV source from the HDMI. Perhaps Ryan should create LR 21 points DV patterns for the USB download of the LG OLED TV customers.
I don’t have an LG but a Sony. Can someone help me understand the practical implications of the Dolby Vision patterns encoded in full range? What’s the right approach to do a Dolby Vision verification? Specifically I’m confused how I can make sure PQ EOTF tracking is “range matched”.

Can I use the built-in USB media player? The alternative is to stream the stored patterns from my Plex server, to the native Android TV Plex app, or via Infuse player on Apple TV 4k (therefore adding the Apple TV in the video chain).

(An aside: Apple TV Plex app doesn’t seem to handle Dolby Vision test patterns properly.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was not suggesting that you use the ATV4K to calibrate your TV; I was simply using that to deduce that there’s nothing wrong with Ryan’s patterns.
Actually...if 80% or 90% of your time you will use the ATV4K to watch movies/TV/etc. it makes sense to calibrate the TV with the ATV4k (at least one picture mode).
The reason is exactly because ATV4K is not bit perfect, have elevated blacks, etc....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is there any way this can be used to calibrate HDR and Dolby vision on a LG B8 using Calman home for LG autocal? been looking around and the only solutions I have found is a videoforgePro or a HD Fury device but they are quite expensive

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Manual pattern selection only. One used to be able to tell CalMAN to do an autocal, but to "prompt for patterns". This required that you actually had the specific patterns CalMAN needed, and that you understood what it was asking for each time, which was not always self-explanatory.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dear Friends,
I have recently embarked on my calibration journey. I have some basic questions.
I have the Calman HOME for Samsung calibration software 2020. I am using it for calibrating 5-year-old Samsung TV. It was a flagship model. Samsung TV 65 inch 4K SUHD JS9500.
The Calman Spectracal software has a very good workflow and the AUTOCAL calibration is quite good for REC 709 TV calibration.
For the REC 709 calibration, the Calman provides an app on the iphone which acts as a pattern generator. This pattern generator app connects to the TV via apple tv and displays the various color patterns and the software measure these patterns via the colorimeter. It works very well for REC 709 calibration.
Unfortunately there is no app or built in patterns for BT2020 calibration to use with the Calman HOME for Samsung calibration software. To buy a pattern generator (Murideo 6G) is quite expensive.
Grateful if you could kindly advise if I can use the Masciola patterns in conjunction with the Calman HOME for Samsung calibration software for calibrating the TV for BT2020 colour space.
If yes, then which Masciola product should I buy?
Is there a video tutorial link or an article that explains how to use the Masciola patterns in conjunction with the Calman HOME?

Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Only in conjunction with manual calibration. Yours is from the same generation as our KS8000, and CalMAN does not offer HDR autocalibration for these models. You would need the Masciola DVS UHD HDR disc.
I am not aware of any tutorials for the use of this disc with CalMAN. You probably will need to become familiar on your own with manual two-point (only) grayscale operations. CMS will not really be an option, as it doesn't work properly in HDR.

1921 - 1931 of 1931 Posts