Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From DVD Bulletin:
Quote:
Pathé Distribution Ltd. have announced the release of The Fifth Element - Special Edition on 24th November priced £19.99. The film has, of course, already been released on DVD before but this new 2-disc title will be far superior in every way. Plenty of extras are in store for fans, together with an additional DTS 5.1 soundtrack to please audiophiles.

Extras include :

* Special effects audio commentary by Mark Stetson, Karen E. Goulekas, Bill Neil and Ron Gress

* 'Discovering The Fifth Element' making-of documentary

* 'Imagining The Fifth Element' special effects featurette

* 'The Art Of The Fifth Element' design featurette with Jean-Claude Mezieres

* 'An Audience With Diva Plavalaguna' featurette

* 'Elements Of Style' costume featurette with Jean-Paul Gaultier

* Trailers

* TV spots

* 'Launching The Fifth Element' Cannes opening night party featurette

* Storyboards and production notes

* 'The Sixth Element' essay

http://www.dvdshoppinguk.co.uk/

fuad

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's time to put my foot down. No way am I buying this movie again. I have it on VHS, the original DVD, the SB DVD. I am tired of these production companies taking my money over and over, There is a 1080i WM9 version floating around the internet now, that would be worth a purchase, but I am sure there will be 4 more releases before they start selling that one. Normally I am against piracy, but this is one of those movies that they know they can keep teasing the AV community with over and over. So I, for one, am not buying anymore. I have spent approx $300 on 5th Element and Terminator 1 and 2, not including seeing them in the theaters.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I have spent approx $300 on 5th Element and Terminator 1 and 2, not including seeing them in the theaters.
And who held a gun to your head and made you do that? If you choose to buy something, when you know there's a possibility of another version coming out, that's your choice. Don't blame the people who then put in a lot of work to bring out a better version. If they waited until a super-duper special edition can be done of some of these films for which DVD extras wasn't planned for from the beginning like they are now, we'd all be bitching about why they don't get something out so we can watch it, and do a super EE version later.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
... when you know there's a possibility of another version coming out ...
Most consumers only 'know' this about dvd-movies through bitter experience :rolleyes:

To complain is natural, and as consumers, it may be the only fair-use right we have left, so we may as well exercise it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Welcome to the world of production and the rules that date back to

the days of Laserdisc.

Look at the Lucas Laserdisc release sequence...

Prologic version of Ep. 4-6

THX DD version of Ep. 4-6

THX Box Set (SE) with all versions Ep. 4-6

Be glad your DVDs only cost you about $20.00 a pop.

Try the same game with LD that used to cost about $80 a pop or $130+ box sets.

Boycott the initial releases since you know the future holds SE nirvana for any format. Besides what is the lifespan of any media format (about 15-20 years?)

I still have not bough a single Lucasfilm DVD and will not until the damn box set of Ep. 1-6 is released (then I will take my wheel chair down to the store and pick it up with my beautiful nurse who will of course load it for me on my Pioneer DV-xxx9-avi with one connector that plays video/audio/and every protected content and disk known to man).

Just wait until blue-ray and HD-DVD is here, your entire collection will be replaced. Ready for that?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eldithomaso
Just wait until blue-ray and HD-DVD is here, your entire collection will be replaced.
Like hell...

Yeah I'll buy 2001 and LOTR in HD but I think my DVD of C.H.U.D. will cut it well into the future :D

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Most consumers only 'know' this about dvd-movies through bitter experience
Most consumers probalby never buy any DVDs at all, they rent the bulk of them, and those that do probably don't buy multiple copies at all. I'm sure Warren understood the issue, and he bought anyway. No one is to blame but himself.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
C.H.U.D - its on DVD?????

Oh that is a good one...made me jump.

The Relic is better though. Still have that one on Laser.

I imaging you will be waiting a while for the HD version of that one.

I hate to say it but it seems consumer electronics are going the way

of computers - what is new today is ancient history 24 months later.

Gota get in the water sometime I guess.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Most consumers probalby never buy any DVDs at all, they rent the bulk of them, and those that do probably don't buy multiple copies at all. I'm sure Warren understood the issue, and he bought anyway. No one is to blame but himself.
Geeze Dean, lighten up. I think it was more a rhetorical type of anger... :p

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
C.H.U.D - its on DVD?????

Not only is it on DVD, it has one of the top five funniest commentary tracks that I've ever heard AND an all-nude shower scene easter egg. Well worth checking out! :D

·
Registered
28,355 Posts
Quote:
Look at the Lucas Laserdisc release sequence...

Prologic version of Ep. 4-6

THX DD version of Ep. 4-6

THX Box Set (SE) with all versions Ep. 4-6
You missed about 20 different releases in between all of those. Pan & scan, letterboxed, analog sound, digital sound, CLV, CAV, etc.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks Fred, you're right, it was not so much serious anger as it was just venting. I do get tired of the fact that we dont have the best copy possible of a movie simply because the studio wants to release it 2 more times, just to get 2 more sales runs with it. There is much in the movie industry that I dont agree with, same as in the music industry. Studios and companies get to claim ownership of another's creative vision and effort, then they get to pace the release of that material to their own financial gains. That, to me, is only hurting everyone except the pockets that see the profits. I think that more people should express their feelings on this business practice, and it is just that: a business practice. There is proof that a movie can be released properly the first time around, look at some of the really good DVDs out there; Training Day, Titan AE, Fight Club (ok that was released twice so maybe its a bad example) but what I am getting at, is that someone out there is consciously deciding that "we will not release the best version so we can build up to it later" and that is dishonest to the consumer.

(end of rant /)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
There seriously needs to be a "Business 101" forum here on AVS so that people who constantly say things like that can understand how business works. Every company in the world does exactly the same thing, and it is completely acceptable and completely normal. Why do car companies sell a slightly different versoin of each model every year with slight improvements that they could have put on the previous year's that you bought? Because they have to keep the market interested in the product by continuing to improve it, and they usually don't even have the same rationalization that the movie industry does.

The movie industry puts out the initial version because it's quick, and they can get something out, becuase we constantly whine about wanting more stuff to come out, and they want to get it out so we can buy it. There is a market and they need to feed it. Making super-duper EE versions takes time and costs money, so they don't want for another year or whatever to put the thing out, they just put out a version so that it'll be out there. They then sometimes do an EE version, which has a lot more features and cost a lot more to do, so it makes perfect sense that they will charge more and you'll have to buy this one again if you bought the original one.

It's completely normal, and is in fact to our advantage because we can buy the initial one as soon as it's available if we really want it. And we can keep that one forever more, no one is making us buy anything else, and in fact no one made us buy the first one. If they put out a better version again, you know the special edition Porsche 911 Turbo S that costs $10K or $20K more than the regular Turbo for some moderate improvements, then those folks who want the improvements can buy it again, else they can not buy it and not whine about it, because no one is making them buy it, and they can rent if they want to.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Why do car companies sell a slightly different versoin of each model every year with slight improvements that they could have put on the previous year's that you bought? Because they have to keep the market interested in the product by continuing to improve it, and they usually don't even have the same rationalization that the movie industry does.
That's a perfect analogy! But it's analagous to Hollywood's production of new movies, not to it's re-releases of T2 in some uber format.

Or, to turn your analogy around, how often does Ford release a special edition of the '67 Thunderbird? Maybe every 10/15/25 years, if they believe there's customer demand for it. But they would be smart enough to realize that the customer for such a car would probably be pretty pissed if a year later Ford bought out the '67 mustang uber-SE. Don't screw your customer! Business 202

VHS, DVD, HD-DVD. Changes in formats like these have consumers asking for re-issues of their favourite movies. But multiple issues in the same format, in a short span of time, is just begging to create ill-will. It's short sighted and stupid.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
That's a perfect analogy! But it's analagous to Hollywood's production of new movies, not to it's re-releases of T2 in some uber format.
The year to year changes in most models are trivial and are not different in scope than a special edition of a DVD, and in many cases don't even measure up remotely to the increase in value that an EE DVD provides over the original. There is no screwing going on at all, it's just that a lot of people seem to have come to the conclusion that when the entertainment industry does something, it's evil, but when everyone else does it, it's normal I guess. It's utterly bizarre how people can somehow get from the fact that a company sells a couple versions of a product, none of which you were compelled to buy at any time, and which you can even rent if you want, to they are screwing people. It's just stupid.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
The year to year changes in most models are trivial and are not different in scope than a special edition of a DVD, and in many cases don't even measure up remotely to the increase in value that an EE DVD provides over the original. There is no screwing going on at all, it's just that a lot of people seem to have come to the conclusion that when the entertainment industry does something, it's evil, but when everyone else does it, it's normal I guess. It's utterly bizarre how people can somehow get from the fact that a company sells a couple versions of a product, none of which you were compelled to buy at any time, and which you can even rent if you want, to they are screwing people. It's just stupid.
The year to year changes in a model are akin to the movie industries tweaks within a genre, or a serial. What do people want in a romantic comedy? Who do they want to see in them? How can we put an original spin on the formula? Who should be the next Bond.

Another parallel is in predicting what class of product will be hot next year. Horror, action, romantic comedy or drama for Hollywood; SUVs, sedans, trucks or econo-boxes for the auto industry. Is there a new genre, or type of vehicle, that people will eat up.

So I repeat. Re-releasing a movie like 5th Element is more akin to re-releasing a particularly popular model of some old classic sports car. There's a market for it, but Hollywood is dipping into that well far too frequently. It has and will create ill-will among consumers. They are quite entitled to do it, it's their product and their right. I'm just saying that it's short sighted and will hurt them in the long run. It's bad business.

And, btw, the movie industry frequently profits from the illogical fickle whims of the consumer. But illogical fickle whims don't always work in your favour. Understand your customers, and try not to piss them off.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I'm just saying that it's short sighted and will hurt them in the long run. It's bad business.
How the heck is it bad business? They put out a few variations. You buy the ones you want and don't buy the ones you don't want, and you can rent the ones you don't want to buy. They get one out quick. for the people who just want the basic movie and never watch extras and we can either buy or rent it and watch it now instead of 6 months or a year from now when a super-duper EE is done, and later they put out a more advanced version and those people who that one can buy that one.

Please explain to me how this is even remotely anti-customer?

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Dean ur so wrong wot annoys me and many consumers is we buy a version of a film and then 6 months to a year later a better version is released, it would be ok if the film company told us and we can hold off buying, take The Two Towers as an example i have held off buying it knowing there is going to be the 4 disc set in November, but i have bought the Japanese fullbitrate DTS version of X Men 2 because it is released 2 months before the american 2 disc version which has all the extras the Japanese version doesn't contain, thats my choice as a consumer and i'm well informed but on many occasions we are NOT informed and end up forking out loads of cash for various different versions because we love a film and want the best sounding and looking version available.

Terminator 3 is a film i WILL NOT buy on dvd because i know its going to have multiple releases, i will wait for the best version, many film studios milk the product and are creating bad will and ill feeling among the consumers who buy their films.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.