Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From http://www.kfccinema.com/news/news.html

"Our friends at Tartan have just announced re-release plans for the superb 'Battle Royale' and this is news that should thrill our US readers in particular...

Tartan Video has taken the challenge of the latest home entertainment innovation and has produced its first DVD to utilise NTSC progressive scan technology, currently a unique feature of NTSC players, now available in the UK. Progressive scan technology substantially enhances picture quality and the viewing experience as a whole, but while it remains a feature of NTSC DVD players only, this added value cannot be offered by DVDs made in the PAL format. Further enhanced features available on this NTSC release are the new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and the newly created digital subtitles which Tartan Video was unable to access for its original PAL release. Expect a release on May 27th. "

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Wow. On the one hand, it makes sense, because many British DVDphiles are buying almost exclusively NTSC R1 discs. But on the other hand, they better stick a huge warning on the cover, notifying you'll need a NTSC-compatible TV set or a DVD player that converts NTSC to PAL. If not, you're in for a rolling image fest.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless the DVD player only outputs pure NTSC - then you don't need a TV that supports it. Almost every TV set out there today supports PAL60.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're referring to standalone progressive players and displays. Displays and players that can handle it are rather few in number, and I imagine that by going NTSC they ensure the disc can be played back on most progressive capable setups.

If they do this right it would mean a good quality disc, yet cheap but with English subtitles. They probably don't have the new SE cut though.

I do understand your sentiment though. Tartan hasn't exactly been the pillar of quality releases ;).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeroen - I just have to laugh at the insanity of it all. Talk about a history of bad releases. They really have no idea what they're doing.

Battle Royale is going to be shown in the cinema here next week so I guess I'll be taking a trip to see how it's really supposed to be. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrhan
What's wrong with letting people know about all the different versions? :p
Nothing, Bulletsnbabesdvds just neglected to mention that even though the new r2 UK has Progressive scan plastered all over it, and Tartan has been wooing customers with fancy talk, their DVD is clearly not progressive.

I almost bought it based on their review. Now I know to go for the r2j instead.

Edit: one more time for grammar. That is an ugly sentence.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I actually find Bulletsnbabes reviews to usually be pretty good and they are one of the few sites that actually consider picture quality on Asian dvds. The problem is that they use a pretty nice scaler (*** Rock) so probably didn't notice the bad flags.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jeroen - cool. What format are the subs in, and can you put them up for download somewhere? Alternately get it sent to the Scriptclub ( www.scriptclub.org )?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh - well just up the subs to the scriptclub when you're done. I don't have the SE yet so I'm not in a rush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.