AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have seen both, leaving aside all other issues, which of the RP91 and 5900 has the better picture quality? I'm particularly interested in the interlaced output (since I'd run into a NR anyway), but I know others will be interested in the progressive output as well.

Drew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has an opinion? I thought this would be hotly debated.

By the way, I read somewhere on the board that the 5900 cannot read DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, or DVD-RAM. Given that Dell and HP are adopting the DVD+RW standard (I know that for a fact), isn't that a problem for home movies (i.e. my wife will wonder why I bought at $1000-$1500 DVD player that can't read our home movies)?

Drew

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well, do you need a changer, or not ?

I have both and they both have superb video quality. However, since both do DVD-Audio and neither has the chroma bug, and you don't want to use the progressive outputs, and the RP91 can play DVd-R, unless you need the 400 disk changer, save yourself 1000 bucks and get the RP91.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve--

You hit the nail on the head. If the video quality is equal (which it sounds like it is), the question is is the changer worth $1000 (plus the cost of the Entre Hub to make it work well), especially in light of the fact that it does not appear to play DVD-R, etc. (the wife factor/home movies factor).

That's my issue exactly, but I wanted to make sure the interlaced picture quality was indeed equal.

Drew

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Drew,

A fellow member just posted in another thread that he has successfully read DVD-R discs in the 5900M.

It however refused to play DVD-RW discs.

Still, this is great news for some of us. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just tried both players [only in the progressive mode] on a 10ht ft. projector.

I thought the kenwood was great and the rp91 was disappointing. I suggest you get both players from a dealer that would give a full refund and keep the one you prefer. Maybe the rp91 is good on your type of monitor and you could save some money but I did not like it at all on mine.

frnz

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would be HIGHLY suspect of ANYONE calling the RP91's picture disappointing! There are plenty here who have very high-end/large screen FPTV's who have nothing but high praise for the RP91, so again take this one negative comment with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Given that Dell and HP are adopting the DVD+RW standard
There may be many players that can't play DVD+RW. There are many that can't play DVD-R. Of those not all can play 3.68 GB and 4.37 GB DVD-Rs. It is a hodge-podge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw on Tech TV today where they reviewed the Dell or was it the HP. It was the new "+" version. Anyway they made the statement that most DVD players should be able to play DVD-Rs unless the DVD player is fairly old. They said the "+" version should even be more compatible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I seriously doubt the Panasonic RP-91 will play DVD+RW, from what I've read. The +RW standard is in a format war with the RAM standard (which Panasonic supports). On the other hand, Panasonic's DVD recorders do record to both DVD-RAM and DVD-R, so I'm not sure why the RP91 wouldn't play DVD-Rs. (It would seem to have a recorder that could record them, but a relatively new DVD player that couldn't play them). That being said, I'm going to try to get my hands on a DVD-R this weekend to test it myself, and confirm what others have posted (that the RP91 does play DVD-Rs). Although I'm confused by Stacey's reference to different size DVD-Rs; I thought we had standardized on the 4.7 GB one).

By the way, Stacey, I sent you a private message. It would be great if you could respond.

Drew

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is no question that the RP91 plays DVD-R. I friend of mine showed it to me and it played just fine.

Fred

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hdguy--

Makes sense, and good to know. The reason for my confusion is that, when I called Panasonic to ask, they said no. Of course, they usually have no idea what they are talking about.

Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.