AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Race to the finish Home Theater build (w/final pics)

COMPLETED PICS POST #78

My wife and I are in the process of building our dream home theater(and home.....). We hired Shawn Byrne to give us a design and now we are off and running trying to keep up with our general contractor to finish the build. We have hired a friend who built our last home theater. Some aspects of the build include 160" wide acoustically transparent screen, coffered ceiling with atmos in ceiling speakers, and 2 rows of 5 theater seating.Here are some pics to get things started

Final equipment list:

Projector
JVC NX9 w/Paladin DCR lens

Screen
Falcon Screens 160" wide 2.35 acoustically transparent

Preamp
Marantz 7702 mkii
2x qsc 322ua

amps
Emotiva(multiple)

Subs
2x Seaton Custom 18" with 2x 4000 watt rack amplifiers
2x Triad bronze 4 slim sub

speakers
3x Triad in room gold lcr for fronts
4x Triad In ceiling silver 6 Satellite for Atmos
6xTriad inwall silver 4 lcr for surrounds

Seating
Fusion escape 2 rows of 5

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Love the ceiling! What size room are you working with? Curious to know the height of the room. Also are you doing any kind of soundproofing?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
curious what projector you plan to light up the 160 wide sreen? work so far looks good!
Most likely going with the jvc rs500 paired with an Isco XL and Cineslide.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the ceiling! What size room are you working with? Curious to know the height of the room. Also are you doing any kind of soundproofing?
We did double drywall,clips, hat channel and green glue for soundproofing. Room is roughly 26x20x10

·
Registered
983 Posts
Most likely going with the jvc rs500 paired with an Isco XL and Cineslide.

That will do it! I am using a RS600 with a UH480/slide in combo with a 180" curved XD center 2.37:1 tested the FtL at 14-16 on average. So with your screen being 20" smaller, the RS500 should work great!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That will do it! I am using a RS600 with a UH480/slide in combo with a 180" curved XD center 2.37:1 tested the FtL at 14-16 on average. So with your screen being 20" smaller, the RS500 should work great!
Wow! That screen is huge. Have you tried any ultra bluray with HDR yet?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow! That screen is huge. Have you tried any ultra bluray with HDR yet?
I have not, about 3 weeks out yet. I tested out the RS600/UH480 at 180" wide with normal Blu rays and also streamed in some 4K material (all back in Dec)and was blow away by the detail and how nice the image looked with that size. Packed it all up and it all sits in their boxes for a few more weeks. Believe me I have been so tempted to pull it all and and play haha, but resisted so far :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The riser was finished today! We still have a ways to go and we did a 60 day lock on our home 7 days ago:eek:
We have picked out a carpet we like, but it will not be ready until mid-May at best. It is the pattern below in black

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Work continued today on the coffered ceiling. Added 2 of the 4 boxes for the Atmos speakers

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Received our air registers and sprayed them black. Thanks to Big for the help on those!!Also got our hands a little dirty(itchy)and put the insulation behind the baffle wall framing.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Subbd, looks like this is going to be beautiful
Thank you!

Got the screen wall up today. Progress has been good so far. Hope we don't hit any snags.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is great!

A question if I may?

I take it the large holes in the baffle wall are for subs. How does the screen wall move out of the way to get the subs in there? Or is there more room than first appears from the photos, i.e. there is room between the screen wall and baffle wall to fit the subs without moving the screen wall itself.

I'm a couple of months behind you in our build so any information on issues like that, and how to overcome them is gratefully received.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is great!

A question if I may?

I take it the large holes in the baffle wall are for subs. How does the screen wall move out of the way to get the subs in there? Or is there more room than first appears from the photos, i.e. there is room between the screen wall and baffle wall to fit the subs without moving the screen wall itself.

I'm a couple of months behind you in our build so any information on issues like that, and how to overcome them is gratefully received.
You need to build it so that part of the screen wall can be removed. Funny you asked because my builder just commented that he forgot to build it as such. In my last room we had bolts that connected the lower section that the screen rests on to the vertical sections of the screen wall. That way you can completely remove just that section.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks. That makes sense now. I take it your builder is going to remedy the issue?

My room is finished to bare plasterboard (drywall) and I'll be doing all of this sort of stuff myself - which is a bit scary, as I just about know one end of a jigsaw from another, and that's about it. Always good to see detail of how things are done, so again, thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 188 Posts