AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying the Matinee 1HD in about a month and was going to purchase the Blue Jeans 1694A component cables and a S-video cable (also from blue jeans). I have no way of running the wires in the ceiling because we have a garden level basement and our bedroom is above the theater room, so I was going to use a raceway to conceal the wires on the ceiling. I need to know how big of a raceway I will need to run the component cables and the svideo cable. I looked at home depot at these but they seemed to be small in diameter to run these wires, of course I could be wrong. Anyone with a similar setup out there? Where did you purchase your raceways at and how big does it need to be to fit these cables?

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I found that the component and S-video cables from svideo.com are of smaller diameter and more flexible, yet maintain virtually the same electrical specs as thicker cables. I could easily fit them together, plus a couple of rear-speaker cables, into a single run of the Cordmate II raceways. No visible loss of image quality over 75 feet of these cables.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used WireMold raceways from Home Depot. Using the S-video.com cables, I ran 6 coax and power in a small channel. You can check out my setup in the photo.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Perplas is what I've used in my place. Check your local high end Audio/Video store that does custom installations. They probably avoid ripping up walls if they have to.

http://www.perplascorp.com/product.html

There is 2 sizes--- Type 1 small and Type 2 large. I've got a VGA cable, S-Video, Cat 5 and couple of audio cables in the Type 2 large one. The small one is good enough for 1 fat cable, or 2 pairs of speaker wire. Perplas is paintable also.

Below, find a picture of the type 2 in use in my home (still waiting on some corner brackets
)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered the cables from svideo.com since they seem to work just fine and saved me some cash.

mdmclean,

Just curious what type of screen you are using with your 1HD and what is your sitting distance from the screen. I am considering the Da-mat or the HCCV 92" screens and will be sitting back about 13 ft. The pj will be ceiling mounted. It was recommended that I use the HCCV and I was curious if you are using this screen (or anyone else) and if this would be the way for me to go over the Da-mat.

Ron

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am 14ft back with a ceiling mount projector (81" from the floor). The screen I have is a 92x52 Da-Lite High Power model B w/CSR. I am very happy with my screen, which is nice an bright without any hot spotting.

There is lots of discussion about the merits of the High Power in the Screens forum. I am certainly happy with mine, and prefer it to a friend's gray Draper screen (which has some hot-spotting).

I can say that I would definitely buy a High Power again, now that I have seen mine. Try to take a look at one or at least cruise the Screens forum before buying something else.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have to second mdmaclean's suggestion for the Wiremold cable conduit from Home Depot. While they aren't cheap, installation couldn't be easier. Just measure and peel the adhesive backing and stick it up! You can open and close them to add cable pretty easily, too. And you can paint them to match whatever color...otherwise they come in white and off-white for your mounting pleasure.

Here are pics of my setup .

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I thought current understandings were that you are supposed to keep your AC power cord away from your video cords. These wire moldings seem to do just the opposite. Is it a myth that AC power interfere's with video?

Tim Huey

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TimHuey
I thought current understandings were that you are supposed to keep your AC power cord away from your video cords. These wire moldings seem to do just the opposite. Is it a myth that AC power interfere's with video?
I took mdmaclean's advice (thanks again!!!) when I set up the PTL-300u. Actually ran two channels next to each other, one for the power and the other for the video cables.... I couldn't get all cables to fit in one channel. The wife was even happy with how it looks! :cool:
http://sayersweb.com/home_theater/im...3-02-16_03.jpg

The channels bought at Home Depot look very much like the Perplas ones shown earlier in this thread. I used the Type 02.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think it's the fake plant that does the trick for the room.

Tim Huey

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hey, Tim, what is that huge box looking like a power amp or a power conditioner?

At any rate, very nice setup! :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with Sushi ... Svideo.com (thanks again Mark!) all the way. Very nice cables, and so very flexible.

I ended up getting the very smallest Wiremold channels (they are only about 1 centimeter wide!) from Home Depot as I am running just a single set of component cables. I'm going to let my receiver do all the switching, so no need for more than one cable.

-Tim

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
Very nice setup, SayersWeb! Very cozy looking room! Congratulations!
Thanks! Even the cat finds it to be cozy. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by TimHuey
I think it's the fake plant that does the trick for the room.
LOL! Well, it's the only plant that will survive in the low-light conditions. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
Hey, Tim, what is that huge box looking like a power amp or a power conditioner?

At any rate, very nice setup! :)
Maybe you were asking that of me? The large box on top of the rack is an ATI 2505 power amplifier . 5 channels at 250 watts each.

·
Registered
414 Posts
SayersWeb, that does look like a nice installation. I will have to take another photo of my family room once I paint it... white was nice but it is not the best color for home theater!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey mdmaclean or SayersWeb,

I noticed you guys were running your power cable in the molding also. I am wondering what type of extension cord you two are using to run the power cable that long. I am thinking about doing this because I would like to put my pj on a battery backup UPS. Will there be a problem running my video wires and power in the same channel or should I run 2 channels and keep them separated?

Ron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, thanks for the advice on the svideo.com cables. I hooked up my 1HD with them and they looked great. They are the perfect cables to use with these raceways.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdmaclean
I used WireMold raceways from Home Depot. Using the S-video.com cables, I ran 6 coax and power in a small channel. You can check out my setup in the photo.
That wiremold sure looks clean, but running AC and video in the same channel creates the opportunity for crosstalk - like getting a 60hz signal coupled onto your video lines. Some other posts recommend 6" isolation between video/audio and power. Maybe this is more an issue with audio signals?

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by memobug
That wiremold sure looks clean, but running AC and video in the same channel creates the opportunity for crosstalk - like getting a 60hz signal coupled onto your video lines. Some other posts recommend 6" isolation between video/audio and power. Maybe this is more an issue with audio signals?

Regards,

Matt
I was also worried about this when I was installing it. I do not see any crosstalk; this leads me to believe that with proper sheilded cables the crosstalk does not happen.

It could also be that the power cord does not happen to have a lot of noise in it in my house.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.