AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have read the reviews on this site for both Racthet and Uncharted. I have played Ratchet and liked the game play but the story and characters didn't really hold my interest so I stopped playing. Let me be clear that i am not bashing the game. My question is, as far as game play, story, skill level, etc. will Uncharted feel similar to Ratchet? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Uncharted is to Ratchet as an Indiana Jones movie is to an action Pixar flick. They both are good, but go for which theme you prefer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I think I've outgrown "platformers" like Ratchet. I have played the demo and while it is pretty good it just doesn't make me want to go out and drop $60 for it.

Uncharted is a stellar game and my personal fav on the PS3 so far. It's like playing through a very high quality modern day Indiana Jones movie. The graphics are jaw dropping. Gameplay and controls are tight. My only complaint is it is a little short (but what games aren't these days). Highly recommended!

·
Registered
98 Posts
ratchet although kind of fun...is too easy. i would have enjoyed it when i was a whipper snapper.

i played the uncharted demo, and it seems like a pretty good game.

between the two, i would buy uncharted.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Both games are great, but I'm in the middle of Uncharted right now and can honestly say it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past couple years. It's already one of my all-time favorites and I'm not even a quarter of the way through it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Why choose? They're both teh awes0me!

·
Registered
588 Posts
People that have played both say Uncharted is a better game. I've only played the full version of Ratchet, but I've played the demo of Uncharted and it screams it's one of the best games of the year. Give the demo a whirl. If you like the gameplay, there's an Uncharted full game with your name on it.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme /forum/post/12978903

Ratchet is always fun but its a rental because its way too easy.

My main gripe as well, just not challenging enough. Tons of awesome weapons but the challenge wasn't there aside from a few parts. Absolutely gorgeous environments as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I understand that some of you consider Ratchet and Clank not challenging enough, but how hard is it on a ramped-up difficulty level? I have yet to beat the game on Normal, but I don't find it any easier than the single-player campaigns of Resistance, COD4, or Uncharted.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiss88 /forum/post/12979538

I understand that some of you consider Ratchet and Clank not challenging enough, but how hard is it on a ramped-up difficulty level? I have yet to beat the game on Normal, but I don't find it any easier than the single-player campaigns of Resistance, COD4, or Uncharted.

Ratchet is ridiculously easy...even on the hardest level. I actually got bored half-way through because the challenge just wasn't there. The "problem" is you get waaaaay too many weapons, and waaaaay too much ammo. The game looks like a million bucks, though. But even so, once you get used to the graphics, the gameplay is on about a 5-8 year old skill level. Drake, I found very simple too...except for maybe two VERY tough sections....which seemed kind of out of place from the rest of the game. Uncharted, however, kept my attention and awe pretty much all the way through. Great game.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Between the two, I would buy R&C ToD

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Let's take price out of the equation.

Suppose Ratchet & Clank (PS3) were on sale for $39.99 and Uncharted was still $59.99...

Would buying Ratchet be a no-brainer? Or is it still a rental because of the limited replay value and that its too easy to beat?

·
Registered
400 Posts
These are the only two PS3 games I've played (just got the PS3 for X-Mas from my wife and I already had an X360 and a Wii), and they're both absolutely great games.

R&C is one of my favorite series, and I've played the first three on the PS2 (the fourth wasn't interesting to me as a combat shooter rather than a platformer) and the PSP game in addition to the PS3 game. I love the variety of gameplay, refinement of controls, humor, graphics, and especially the creative weapons!

Uncharted was an unexpected surprise of a game with a fantastic plot, extremely high production values (voice acting, graphics, cutscene direction, etc.), and great, refined Tomb Raider-esque gameplay (though HUGELY refined over the TR series, even the latest couple). My wife watched me play pretty much the entire game and was fully engaged in the plot and the characters. To her it was a high quality adventure movie!

Both of these games are quite short and I also didn't find either difficult. Someone mentioned rental, and frankly I think these are both good rental candidates. I finished each in just over the span of a long weekend...perhaps four days' time or so. I suppose each has some limited replay value to find all of the hidden items or to level up the weapons in the case of R&C, but overall they're quick plays.

I agree that if you're asking this question, you should plan to play both. If you're asking which you should play first, I'd say just pick one based on price and availability and get started!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/12979791

Let's take price out of the equation.

Suppose Ratchet & Clank (PS3) were on sale for $39.99 and Uncharted was still $59.99...

Would buying Ratchet be a no-brainer? Or is it still a rental because of the limited replay value and that its too easy to beat?

Hard to say. I bought both. At full price, too!
I do regret buying Ratchet, just because the variety of game play wasn't as interesting to me as it was too others in here. Personally, I could've used a little less variety, to be honest. Too many weapons, for one. Once you get to three pages of guns on your weapons wheel...Yes, three! (Or is it 4???)...it's just too bothersome for me to keep scrolling through them all. Variety is one thing, making that variety seem like an integral part of the game is a whole other matter.

The variety of the levels was also too much when it was just too easy. The rail riding parts, for instance. Sure, it was kinda fun the first minute...but then you quickly realize you can get through these things without even having to try. Same with floating down and using the motion control to "dodge" missiles from the ground. I think it's virtually impossible to die in these sections. Same with the star-ship levels. Half the time you don't even need to fire! I was playing it with inverted controls (Can't invert in these sections) and even still I was able to get through them all without even coming close to dying. Yes there's variety like this, but it feels like you're just going through the motions half the time.

Drake, on the other hand, it always felt like a fun adventure to me. I wanted to explore every part of the game. Drake still has it's problems I feel, but it still won out in fun for me.

So would you want to spend 20 dollars more to have more fun, or save 20 bucks and have less fun?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess /forum/post/12980141

Hard to say. I bought both. At full price, too!
I do regret buying Ratchet, just because the variety of game play wasn't as interesting to me as it was too others in here. Personally, I could've used a little less variety, to be honest. Too many weapons, for one. Once you get to three pages of guns on your weapons wheel...Yes, three! (Or is it 4???)...it's just too bothersome for me to keep scrolling through them all. Variety is one thing, making that variety seem like an integral part of the game is a whole other matter.

The variety of the levels was also too much when it was just too easy. The rail riding parts, for instance. Sure, it was kinda fun the first minute...but then you quickly realize you can get through these things without even having to try. Same with floating down and using the motion control to "dodge" missiles from the ground. I think it's virtually impossible to die in these sections. Same with the star-ship levels. Half the time you don't even need to fire! I was playing it with inverted controls (Can't invert in these sections) and even still I was able to get through them all without even coming close to dying. Yes there's variety like this, but it feels like you're just going through the motions half the time.

Drake, on the other hand, it always felt like a fun adventure to me. I wanted to explore every part of the game. Drake still has it's problems I feel, but it still won out in fun for me.

So would you want to spend 20 dollars more to have more fun, or save 20 bucks and have less fun?

Dude, you don't even know it yet, but you just saved me from buying Ratchet (I'll consider a rental though). I already own Uncharted, so I guess I'll reserve my money for Devil May Cry next week.

Thanks for the review and your thoughts. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/12980328

Dude, you don't even know it yet, but you just saved me from buying Ratchet (I'll consider a rental though). I already own Uncharted, so I guess I'll reserve my money for Devil May Cry next week.

Thanks for the review and your thoughts. Really appreciate it.

Haha, no problem. Of course, in the next couple of posts, someone's very likely to attack me for what I've said!
Games are kinda funny that way. And everyone's right...cuz it's all just personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts