AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster

I have built myself a rather large racing simulator for home use. The base of the system is a Win XP machine with 2 G-force 280 GTX video cards. Currently I use 3 Sharp LC-46D64U panels for displays. The cables are DVI to HDMI. All three panels are set to 1920x1080 each. I like this setup, but I've noticed a few issues:

1. I've noticed a lot of screen tearing when I make rapid, long movements in the car from side to side. I still show decent FPS (45-80 FPS) in each sim, so I don't think it's that. It could be me, but I don't really notice it when I run one single screen as much.

2. As I'm running 3 screens, the width of the bezels start to get to me after a while.

I've been thinking about upgrading, but I'm not sure if I can solve these problems (#1 primarily) by buying new TV's.

Any ideas? Should I switch to plasma?

I need the same size panel. Price is sort of an issue. I'd like to keep it under $1600 per panel if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
To reduce tearing try turning vsync on. I can't use vsync cause I don't really have the fastest and best ( if it dips below 60fps it will show 30fps and you will notice a annoying jump). It add a bit of lag and people think its a decent compromise to fix tearing. I don't think tearing is that much of an issue, I much rather have tearing with quick response than lag without tearing.

VIR grand east races just kills my comp

edit: take a look at toshibas 46XF550U. It has a really thin bezel.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think a plasma would be a better pick for using in a simulator.

The tearing is likely caused by your video card, and if so, will still be there if you replace the screens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplol /forum/post/15575572

To reduce tearing try turning vsync on. I can't use vsync cause I don't really have the fastest and best ( if it dips below 60fps it will show 30fps and you will notice a annoying jump). It add a bit of lag and people think its a decent compromise to fix tearing. I don't think tearing is that much of an issue, I much rather have tearing with quick response than lag without tearing.

I do use vsync with rfactor (as it's in the video configurator). Is there a way to do it with the Nvidia driver as a more global change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled /forum/post/15576126

I think a plasma would be a better pick for using in a simulator.

The tearing is likely caused by your video card, and if so, will still be there if you replace the screens.

How can I tell if it's the video card? Is there any sort of test or remedy?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
right click on your desktop and go to the nvidia control panel, then go to manage 3d settings and its the last option. ( Force On )

the tearing could be caused when it switches from the 60fps to the half, 30fps. Thats called double buffering. You can turn on triple buffering which will allow the 3d to run at other values than 30 when it can't give 60fps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts