AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm starting to do the cable management and connections for my rack and I have a couple questions.

1.) A lot of the racks I see pictures of, the A/V connections coming from the theater (Speaker wires, HDMI, Subwoofer) are going into a patch panel or wall jacks, then to the gear. Is there a compeling reason for this? I would think the least amount of connections the better. (I can leave a loop of spare cable under the house or in the attic if I had to move the gear.)

2.) Network connections for gear "in the rack". Should I run directly to the network switch or run them thru a patch panel. I can see both sides for this one?

3.) Is there a need for patch panel connections (A/V, RG6, etc) inbetween the gear "in the rack"?

4.) Can I run the ""IR" Eye/Jack cords on the same side of the rack as the power or could there be interference?

5.) If I'm using 22AWG HDMI cables to Display and other gear, should I use port savers at the gear AV receiver, HTPC, etc for sure?

6.) I've heard, my Digital OTA antenna (UHF/VHF) will pick up HD radio also, is this true? (Don't have a HD Radio receiver yet)

Note: My 45 space rack will be full and all the gear is placed for usability and access (visual and physical) usage, so I don't see the individual gear units getting moved much.

Thanks for your time

Jeff

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The front of my rack is organized very nicely with custom face plates, extra storage, etc..

Behind the rack is a rats nest.

No one goes back there very often and things are tidy enough to know where each cable is going. The closest thing to a patch panel I have is for hooking the components up to the connectors for things out in the HT room (speakers, sub, etc).

This is after my first attempt to clean it up...

Someday I'll make another go at it, but again... it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/17048742

That means "YOU ARE DONE".

Insert movie and think about it in another 2 hours.

I like that theory, but I've been "thinkin bout it" for a month while waiting on additional gear (and enjoying movies) and that would be okay..........except my rack connects the inside of the house to the garage ..... so I've been air conditioning the great outdoors of western NC since July 4th (some have noticed we are having a cooler summer in my neighborhood!) ....... at some point I gotta make a move! Not just the cabling, the whole project!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Up to you... but rather than pissing about cooling off the outside world... I would justify it as... giving a little goodness back to mother nature.

If that works for you, pop in another movie... if not, get off your butt and close off the garage area

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffy /forum/post/17048859

Up to you... but rather than pissing about cooling off the outside world... I would justify it as... giving a little goodness back to mother nature.

If that works for you, pop in another movie... if not, get off your butt and close off the garage area

I like your attitude! I'll check the thread in a whiile, I'm going to go watch Gran TorinO and have some beers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.