AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should a guy build the rack in the room or outside the room?

Personaly I kinda want to do in the room for ease and I think it'd look better. Thing is if I do in room, it's going to pretty much make a basstrap in that corner nonexitant.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Could do both... build the rack into the wall and put a door on it (glass if you want to see it, solid if you don't).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah either way it's going into a double stud wall, so one side or the other is going to get plugged so I can get at the wires, under the rack I'm thinkng I want to hide a dehumidifier that will pull air from around the 1.5" gap between block wall and new framing, I'll see if I can get a camera working with this computer.

JUst wondering how much I'm losing without a bass trap in that corner

·
Registered
192 Posts
put put.

i was gunna put mine inside, but with the amount of light produced by all the componets, i desided to hide in closet. just ordered a buffalo IR repeater. it all depends on your preference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For what it's worth, I put mine outside of the room. you can see the equipment at the bottom of the basement stairs and just outside of the movie area. But you cannot see it from the movie area.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodcat /forum/post/18278560

I put mine outside the room. No lights, no noise, and RF in with the Pronto. That is what I recommend

+1.

Don't know about you, but I can't stand the noise that most rack equipment make. My HTPC and sub amp fans are loud.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Mine is outside the room. You have to walk by it to get into the room (the face of the rack is just outside the theater door), so people can still look at the equipment if they choose, and loading a disc is still convenient.

The only visible pieces of equipment in the room are my screen and projector. I see no reason to have the rack in the room, unless space is a concern. Noise, lights, room integrity, etc., are all factors that should lead most people to put it outside the room.*

jj

* I realize that what worked for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone, so this is not meant to denigrate anyone who puts their rack in the room. Given the choice, however, I feel that outside is the way to go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine is in the room - in a closet (without a door) - behind the AT screen....and the lights are not a problem (black tape over the bright ones). I also filled the closet walls with 4" OC 703.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i spent alot of money on my equipment i want to be able to see it, so i say in room. I can dimm all my stuff and nothing is loud enough to be a distraction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I losing that much by missing a bass trap in one corner?

I understand as to why outside the room.

Now question time.

How much more difficult is it to set up equipment?

IR repeater, I read that alot on here, what's that all involve?

For the one response for in room.

The only reason I was wanting to was to pretty much show it off. It's not ever going to be anything too eloborate. Im thinking BD-83, AVR, XB360, Cable box, and maybe 2 amps. So nothing really to see, nor make too much noise. Although that 360 sure likes it to be known it's on.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Show it off outside of the room. In time you may want to add more equipment and you never know what will be loud.

As for IR or RF, both are easy to set up. I went RF when I bought a refurbished Logitech 890 remote through Amazon. Every so often they have sales. I got mine for around $115.

·
Registered
383 Posts
IR repeaters are the simplest things to set up. Plug in your sensors, plug in the receiver and plug in the power supply and you are ready to go.

As I mentioned earlier, mine is in a closet outside the theater. As you walk down the stairs and to the theater you can see it right in front of you so people can see what I have. I also have an inwall dvd storage right beside it, which is extremely handy.

As far as setup on the rack outside the theater, it's no different. Same cables, except if you place it outside the theater you can be a bit more liberal if you desire a ceiling drop of cables for example.

If you are seraching for a true cinema experience in your own home ask yourself this question...how many time have you seen sound equipment at the local theater?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I prefer to watch the screen and listen to the speakers, not look at and hear the equipment. I say outside from a personal perspective.

Having it outside (and prefereably out of site) simplifies a lot of other things too. Cooling can be easier, cabling can be easier, access can be easier, upgrading can be easier, etc.

Unless you were born with IMB (Iron Man Bladder) you're at least going to get up to take a leak between movies, so having to get up and leave the room to change discs is less of an issue than one might think prior to setting it up.

Lastly, I use an URC RF remote to control everything in my basement ("rack" is located in another room across the hall from the theater.)

-Suntan

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/18279307

Don't know about you, but I can't stand the noise that most rack equipment make. My HTPC and sub amp fans are loud.

If you have a rack enclosed properly, you can deaden a ton of sound with absorption at the back and sides of the rack area while pushing all the fan noise inside the cabinet so that it is substantially reduced. While it doesn't eliminate the sound, it does bring it down a lot.

That said, I put my rack in a seperate room and put acoustic treatments inside the rack enclosure area plus in the room that was housing the gear. I like my background noise floor very low.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
My sub amp has a front fan and it's loud. While I know there are some ways to deaden the noise, it really is a none issue since the gear is in the lobby.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay I'm going to build it so it can go either way.

Still might move it over next to the fireplace, but dunno yet. Framing done just need to square the old girl up and nail her down.

Room in room is a pain to do by yourself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
putput,

Room in a room (assume you mean building whole room not just equip closet) is a little harder but not as much as you might think. I did it myself and I am not all that handy. Hardest part was hanging the double drywall on the ceiling---rent/buy a lift and it is pretty smooth sailing. The benefit to having dead silence is well worth it.

I had same dilemma you are having with equipment placement. Think your idea to leave option for both is best route, then decide later with minimal room change.

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts