AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a cheaper ack mount for my AV area and stumbled upon this:

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Pr...categoryID/392

But it says it has 4 2U racks, and one 5U rack. 2U seems awefully small, thats only 3.5". My receiver wouldn't fit in that, my HTPC wouldn't fit in that, my UPS wouldn't fit in that either. The only stuff I have that would fit in 2U is my ethernet switch and controller for irule.

I can't imagine that this thing really has 4 2U racks and only one 5U rack? Seems odd to me to do that? Am I thinking about this wrong?

Anyone know of any alternatives for around the same price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
You can do way better than that price wise by watching craigslist for used Middle Atlantic racks - I picked up a lightly used 42U MA Slim 5 with many shelves, casters, lacing bars, vent faces, etc. for under $200. Not alone, I've seen several others find similar deals. May have to watch a while before you find one that matches what you want though - I got lucky, found one right away.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The package you linked to includes (four) 2U shelving units and a (one) 5U shelf; you can see them better in the specification PDF.

All of the shelving and the vent panels on the rack are removable so you can swap in other shelving or rack gear that has integrated ears.

A 5U shelf is usually sufficient for most AVRs and the important thing to note there is not the height (as the shelf has no "top") but the load capacity of the shelf. 5U will typically carry about 100 pounds assuming it is braced properly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeerUK /forum/post/20891392

The package you linked to includes (four) 2U shelving units and a (one) 5U shelf; you can see them better in the specification PDF.

All of the shelving and the vent panels on the rack are removable so you can swap in other shelving or rack gear that has integrated ears.

A 5U shelf is usually sufficient for most AVRs and the important thing to note there is not the height (as the shelf has no "top") but the load capacity of the shelf. 5U will typically carry about 100 pounds assuming it is braced properly.

That's what I was wondering, for the 2U shelves it says 50 pounds... so can I just remove the rack above it and put my htpc in one? It is more 4U in height, but its not 50 pounds....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here is my DIY rack built with front and rear rails:

From the bottom up...

3U amp for Buttkickers

1U blank panel

2U vent panel

5U shelf for AVR (not currently occupied

1U completely empty to allow headroom for AVR

1U blank panel

2U shelf with laserdisc on it

1U completely empty to allow laserdisc headroom

2U shelf with DVD

2U shelf unoccupied

The originally linked rack package from Peerless has shelves and vent panels that you can remove or change their position. If you have an AVR, I would put that on the 5U shelf unless you have something else that does not have integral rack ears that needs that kind of space. Your HTPC is probably only 4U high and may or may not have rack ears as part of the case. Assuming it does not have rack ears, you can put this on any shelf that will support it and just leave empty slots to give it enough headroom (like I did for my laserdisc player).

As others have mentioned, the Peerless package is a bit pricey and you may do better to source a rack locally or surplus and then only purchase the shelves you need. I've done really well with my DIY rack build and have found shelves from Monoprice.com and at a local electronics suprlus store. I bought two handfuls of Middle Atlantic lacing bars from there for $1.50/ea ( 20 bars) which has made cable management on the back side of the rack (which also has rack rails) much tidier.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Middle Atlantic has a similar product called the "Residential Designer Rack", priced similarly. The difference with these products is the "less industrial" look - good if the rack is going to be visible in a room. Also note that these products also come on casters, so pulling them out to deal with cabling is also an 'included feature'...

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.