AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a MA Slim 5 rack, and am in the process of shopping for components. On fleabay, I see some reasonable prices for 2U shelves. My question is what stops me from putting a 5U unit on the 2U shelf. is it the weight or something else. Also if it is just a shelf, why is there a 2U size, is it not just the base ?

Someone kindly clear my ignorance ..

Can I use non MA rack shelves on a slim-5 - I see rack shelving to be expensive , any not-so-expensive shelving options?

Cheers

Shankar

·
Registered
521 Posts
A 5U shelf will also generally be sturdier than a 2U, both because the side walls connecting the shelf base to the rails are usually larger, and because having the upper mounting point higher on the rail will provide more support against the shelf tipping backwards under the equipment weight.

·
Registered
742 Posts
As the other replies have said, it's the weight capacity. As long as the shelf conforms to the 19" rack standard, it will fit. If you do a search on amazon for "rack shelf", a few different brands will pop up. One difference I've found is the thickness (gauge) of the metal used, which may or may not be an issue for you. I've purchased some half shelves by Raxxess which were decent quality.

Only issue I could think of if you didn't have a continuous run of rack ears up and down the rack is if you wanted to use the trim strips. The trim strips connect to special washers which you add to the screws, so if there's a section with nothing to attach to, it might not sit flat. This could probably be solved by putting a dummy screw in there with a washer underneath to make up the thickness of the missing shelf ear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts