AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in a pioneer vsx-45tx, rotel rsx-1055 or denon avr-3803/4802r type av receiver but would like it in a rackmountable chasis. do any of these brands, or any other brands for that matter, make rackmountable style av receivers for the consumer market? or do they have a similar model for commercial applications?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Don't know if they come in specific rack-mount style, but you can always buy a rack shelf that they will fit into. Receivers/Amps have significant weight though, so make sure any shelf is strong enough. Also be careful about enough airflow. That may be why they don't make a rack version. My Denon 3803 manual recommends 4 inches of space above and on both sides of the unit.

- Cryo

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are some companies that make special rackmount adapters for regular receivers that don't come with rack-ears.

They are used by many custom installers, I don't have the links handy but you can probably find them by doing searches.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input guys - i demoed a denon 5803 a couple of days ago and could not believe how heavy it was - rackmounting an av receiver of this type may not be a good idea after all - middle atlantic offers custom jobs but, as cryofax mentions, these babies probably could really use/need the 4" clearance - something that would be tough to do in a rackmount (unless you are willing to give up half your rack).

never took the time to look at bryston until just now because i always assumed that they were way out of my league - and i was right! man, is that some nice gear or what. someone is selling black bryston rackmount faceplates on ebay for $50. they are so damn good looking that it would almost be worth covering a blank 4u rack space with these babies!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nice indeed and sound quality too.

A rack with an SP1.7, 4B-SST for the front channel, 6B-SST for the center and surrounds in a rack makes quite a pretty system. Bryston is actively traded second hand and they offer a 20 year transferable warranty so buy with confidence.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just got my SP1.7 and I am loving it! I originally wanted the 17" black version but I ended up getting 19" rackmount black and I am really glad that I did!

My 4B and 5B are both black 19" rackmount as well so the SP1.7 matches very nicely thank you very much!

I am now going to build a very heavy duty "minirack" which will house my SP1.7, 4B and 5B....should look really sweet! :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Good for you, now you can forget about all this equipment business. Every other year you can check whether Bryston offers an upgrade to the processor but other than that you are done.

Happy Listening

Thomas

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I believe B&K has field replaceable rackmount faceplates for their receivers. I know their pre-pro have rackmount faceplates I just bougth one for my ref30.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I recently ordered a Middle Atlantic rack and custom shelves, although I will not be mounting a receiver in it. I will mount Parasound amps that is designed to be mounted in a rack. The custom shelves I ordered are for the DVD player, satellite receiver and VCR, so they have many options. Here is the page for finding custom shelves:

http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/RSH/mainRSH.asp

They list all of the receivers mentioned, including the Denon AVR-5803. I'm not sure how they address the weight issue, although they build the shelves with 16-gauge steel. One option for dealing with weight is to get a shelf that mounts to both the front and rear rack rails. The trouble is that it only works with the Slim 5 and AXS rack models. Maybe one of those could be used with a custom RSH faceplate.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac...shelves2.htm#3

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.