Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System:

p3 667

256 mb rdram

radeon ddr 32

sb live

intel (i820 i think) mobo

WinME

I got the Radeon 32 MB ddr card for christmas. I have been using it with the 7093 drivers as recommended here on the forum by xcel and others.

All has been fine for DVD playback. PQ looks good, very few video stutters if any at all, etc, etc..

well, i decided to get greedy and try to use my htpc for gaming on my mits 46" hdtv. this was promted by the release of GTA3 on pc and me not wanting to buy a ps2 to replace the dreamcast just yet.

I have heard that the radeon is bad for gaming, but this game is unplayable. it constantly stutters while you drive or run around and it usually locks up the pc after about 5-10 minutes of play.

i don't really care about 3d performance and all the bells and whistles in the game, i just want it to be playable.

is the behavior that i describe above familiar to anyone else and is this the reason why we don't game on the radeon cards? if not, does anyone have any suggestions on getting games to run smoother on radeon?

i have the newer 9016 drivers downloaded, but i am hesitant to install them because of the consistent performance i have had on the dvd side of things...anyone think these drivers will help gaming and what effects would they have on my dvd performance?

Thanks in advance-

Pete

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
don't play many games - but have never had any problems on any that my sons do play using the radeon le - which has not been flashed to have the radeon 32 meg ddr bios. but instead I just installed the radeon tweaking program about 6 months ago and set all the performance options once and have left it alone. You may want to try something like that. My understanding was that this tweaking of registry settings is just as effective as flashing the bios on the card for performance.

http://www.rage3d.com/radeon/r3dtweak/

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ralph.

i'll look in to the tweaker, but it looks like i have quite a bit of reading to do!

do you have any suggestions as to which registry changes i should look into changing first? sorry, i haven't ahd a chance to read the help files yet. if it's there i'll i'll get to it soon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First off....your CPU is kinda weak for gaming......so I would try to upgrade that and also install Rage3d tweak or something similar and O/C the card to at least 183/183 or however high you can get it. My LE runs at 195/195....not bad for a cheap card.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just out of curiosity, wha tare the default speeds for the LE? are they the dame as the ddr?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
just out of curiosity, wha tare the default speeds for the LE? are they the dame as the ddr?
from

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1473&p=3

In order to ensure that the Radeon LE does not infringe on the Radeon DDR's performance margin, the card comes clocked quite a bit lower than the Radeon DDR; 35MHz slower to be exact. The Radeon LE ships with a 148MHz clock speed for both the memory and the core. It is for this reason that the Radeon LE is able to get away with using lower rated 6ns (166MHz) DDR SDRAM chips.

My point was really that the LE and the 32 meg ddr radeon are essentially the same (if you flash bios they were exactly the same although le had no fan) - although I only clock mine up to around 165 versus the 182 for the ddr. With the le the performance comes with setting the tweaks.

But my cpu is faster as well - Althlon 1.3 gigs so that could be a factor as well

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ralph.

i did some playing with the tweaker and still wasn't able to get very good performance. i guess it's time for a cpu upgrade!

·
Registered
408 Posts
that's a pretty new game i haven't tried it though what res are trying to play it at 480? you might want to look into just getting a 8500 its much better fore gaming and the gamma fix was reported by cliff yesterday so it should be safe to buy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
also you might want to try newer drivers unless you are using interlaced resolutions. I think that is the only reason you would want to stick with the 7093's.

·
Registered
408 Posts
update:

I just noticed alot of posts at rage 3d about this game running like crap go there read and find out what the problem is

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks kejar.

i'll do some reading at rage3d and see what i can find out. in answer to your question on resolution, i have tried 640x480, 960x540 widescreen, and a few others. none worked well....

maybe time for an 8500 AND cpu upgrade. ouch. this game is getting expensive!

-pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.