Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I originally posted this thread about a month ago to the AV Forums in the UK.

At about the same time i had major problems with my 808s which has now been repaired.

I can't really comment on the before & after PQ because i also had my PJ calibrated.

Anyway have a peruse.

Please note a couple of jpegs i used on my mod are reposted here THANKS to the original poster/s

==================================================

Hi Chaps,

Been sorting out my 5 bnc mod for about a week now finally got the BNC cables finished today

I basically thought that there must be a better way to connect good quality coax to my hcpc & my pj but the problem always remains the hd-15 d-sub connector on graphics cards being too small,so i set about investigating how to go about modifying my card to accept 5 BNC's.

Basically you drill five 9.5 mm holes in a thick slot back plane the stiffer the better (ohh err mrs) fit five chassis mount BNC jacks (earth through body type)

Next strip out the coax cores in a good quality monitor lead i was lucky i was given a lead.

Next bit was tricky but i managed to obtain a jpeg of the backside of a hd-15 connector showing which pins to connect to (if anyone want,s me to put it on the board let me know)

Now i would love to take the credit for the solder job but my mate is a electronics bod & he soldered the board for me (thanks Steve

You have to use a fine point soldering iron pref with temp control heat the iron until the solder just melts & do not linger more than is absolutely necessary the coax centre core must stripped as close to the board as possible all the RGB earths were taken back to the hd-15 solder points. the horizonta/vertical sync's were connected using an old sound card lead the wires being shielded & very fine, the earths for these rely on the back plane only.

The whole shebang is connected to my 808s using a reasonable quality cable & BNC connectors from Maplins. I didn't want to splash out on a dear cable just in case this mod failed.

I'll report back with regards to picture quality.

I would like to give an honourable mention to AUDIO LEE for invaluable help in this mod thanks Lee

I would also like to say that i'm no electronics expert believe me if i can anyone can.

I think this has been a good confidence booster for me so my next mod's going to be the removal of the RFI filter

If anyone needs help pointers just let me know

Sorry for the long post

Tim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks good. Am I the only one who knows what "ohh err mrs" means? Probably. Though I have not heard it used for a fair old while....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.