AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob so pardon my question. I am trying to hook my pc to my AV rack so I can access XBMC and other media. I have an I7 quad core processor with 4 TB so far...... I would like to only run one cable to the rack. I currently have a radeon 4850 but I just purchased a 6750 because of hdmi. And I know on the box it states that the 6770 and 6750 have hdmi but when I opened the box up I see it has 2 DVI and one mini display port. No hdmi port in sight....there is a DVI to hdmi adapter.....but is that going to carry the audio portion of the signal as well??

I appreciate your input and would like to know if this is the route I should be going or if there is a better card for hdmi capability that I should be looking at.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had an adapter for dvi to hdmi for the 4850.......but from what I read online it seemed to me that I needed a special adapter and not the normal one (one that didn't have the center portion of the pins missing) and update the drivers for hdmi.

When I bought the new graphics card I thought I was getting one with a direct hdmi instead of a dvi adaptable one....... Is there a better card that supports 1.4hdmi and possibly lossless audio? Or would I end up having to buy another sound card as well?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm at the same point as well. I want to get lossless audio and currently am running 2 4870s in crossfire. I currently only have an optical toslink out to my receiver and am running a dvi to hdmi for video to my projector. Same question - do I need a card with an hdmi out to get lossless audio?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfiend /forum/post/20891644

I had an adapter for dvi to hdmi for the 4850.......but from what I read online it seemed to me that I needed a special adapter and not the normal one (one that didn't have the center portion of the pins missing) and update the drivers for hdmi.

When I bought the new graphics card I thought I was getting one with a direct hdmi instead of a dvi adaptable one....... Is there a better card that supports 1.4hdmi and possibly lossless audio? Or would I end up having to buy another sound card as well?

Yes, you will need AMD's proprietary DVI-HDMI adapter to get audio over the card's DVI port. If the graphics card retail box comes with a DVI-HDMI adapter, then perhaps that's it.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster /forum/post/20891681

I'm at the same point as well. I want to get lossless audio and currently am running 2 4870s in crossfire. I currently only have an optical toslink out to my receiver and am running a dvi to hdmi for video to my projector. Same question - do I need a card with an hdmi out to get lossless audio?

HD 4xxx discrete card support multichannel LPCM at up to 192kHz 24bit. So if HD audio (TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD MA/HRA) is decoded to multichannel LPCM bit-perfect by your software player (precisely speaking audio decoder), you will get lossless audio with HD 4xxx (DVI or HDMI does not matter at all as long as you use AMD's DVI-HDMI adapter).

So which audio decoder can decode all HD audio to multichannel LPCM bit-perfect? As for TrueHD/(non-BR)DD+, any decoder based on ffmeg can decode it bit-perfect. For DTS-HD, ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD or LAV Audio Decoder+dtsdecoderdll.dll is the only solution (search in this forum). WASAPI Exclusive mode via ReClock is also mandatory.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I found the dongle (seriously, what kind of word is that anyway?). I hooked the hdmi to my receiver, set the hd audio to default in the sound settings, then set up the speaker configuration and...voila! It works! As far as decoders are concerned, should I not be able to set up my player to passthrough and have my receiver decode the signal?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
If your card is HD 5xxx/6xxx, HD audio bitstreamig is easier. If it is HD 4xxx (that does not support HD audio bitstreaming), you have to use either LAV Audio Decoder+dtsdecoderdll.dll or ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
renethx...yep the link you posted to the adapter with all the pins is what i was talking about. The one that came with the 6750 is missing the center pins......so i guess i need to buy another adapter still. Thanks for the link! So are there no graphics cards that have a standard hdmi out on them?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Missing pins are related to single-link (up to 1920 x 1200) vs dual-link DVI (beyond 1920 x 1200) and have nothing to do with audio (audio is *interleaved* in TSMD video signals, so no extra pins are required). The current HDMI (i.e. Type A) supports only up to 1920 x 1200, so a single-link DVI to HDMI adapter is enough (extra pins cannot be connected to HDMI). But I am not sure if there is a single-link DVI to HDMI adapter that complies with AMD's specs.

If you look at Newegg.com graphics card pages, you will find tons of Radeon HD 6xxx cards with HDMI port.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I got the pc set up through my receiver, but the picture is nowhere near as good as when I plugged it in directly to the projector (no overscan issues or anything). Anyhoo, Renethx is right, there are lots of cards with hdmi out there. I'm thinking of getting the radeon 6950...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but it has something to do with it.

I have a ATI 6570 with HDMI. I am able to get audio thru HDMI for all audio. When I use my power dvd software that came with my bluray drive playing a BR it says its DTS Master in the info field on screen running close to 5 mbs but my Pioneer elite sc25 only indicates HDMI. It does not show the individual channels or says its DTS MA. What am I missing here or is something set wrong? Is there something I need to do to have it pass thru?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Perhaps it is because of PowerDVD *OEM*.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.