AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm in the process of constructing my HTPC and today I purchased a Radeon 7500. As a side note, i was not happy initially because I bought an OEM version because my local shop was out of the retail but they gave it to me for really cheap because they were ditching them because of problems with them (hey, at least they were honest). Anyway, I found that with the OEM cards, at least the sapphire, you can't use the ATI drivers. That was until I found that I could flash the bios with the retail version and the drivers now don't know a difference.

Anyway, on to the actual reason for the post. I'm working on completely silencing my HTPC and was wondering if any has done any mods to their 7500 cards to add a heatsink that doesn't require a fan in order to decrease noise a little more?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Seezar:

___A few items to add to your solutions … I was flashing the 7500’s as well until Ashley of Powerstrip fame gave us a method of installing the retail drivers on a “Powered by ATI†similar to what you are using. The only negative is that you do not get the more stable memory timings of the retail vs. the non-retails from my reads. Other than that, it takes all of 2 minutes to perform the fix in the driver install routine nad once its done, save the whole directory for the next card …

___Next, the passive Zalman works great for the 7500’s as Cliff already mentioned. If you are an OC’er (the increase in core frequency doesn’t give you nearly the performance kick of a memory clock increase :(), you can install a ThermalTake Crystal Orb and 7-Volt mod it for an all around quiet solution. After the mod, it is just a tad higher pitched than a PC Power& Cooling 80x80 mm Silencer yet cools better than the stock retail GPU F/HS combination. This solution works great on GeForce2’s as well as some of the chipset coolers for the VIA boards in particular. Just a thought for a future video card in case your interested. A loss of the first PC Slot is an almost guarantee … An additional benefit is that both the Zalman and TT Crystal Orb’s look great on the VGA card and chipset in the case of the TT Crystal Orb. You will not be disappointed ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi excel

Just sent you a private message almost about the same question.Now as I am a newbie to this HTPC thing,what is flashing?And how is it performed?

Maybe this is too long for a post reply.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi jimkjr:

___You flash upgraded firmware to a Graphics card, CD-DVD-ROM drive, or MB for a new feature, better stability, more options, or in the case of the Radeon’s, to make the ATI driver think its installing to a Retail product. Not all updates are as stable or feature rich as the previous firmware revisions however. In the case of the Retail on OEM cards, the core and memory clocks are changed and the caveat is that the OEM cards are usually equipped with lower speed parts to save a bit of money. If you flash a retail BIOS on an OEM card that cannot handle the core and memory clocks of the retail, you have an unbootable card and a mess on your hands. Now you pray you have a PCI card in which to flash the OEM back to its original just to make it work. Another problem is if the flash goes bad, you have an unbootable card because even it doesn’t know what it is let alone the board or OS … I would never recommend Flashing a graphics card BIOS for most as there are quite a few unknowns when doing this. That being said, I have had only 1 MB BIOS flash and 1 Video card flash go bad in the possible thousands I have done over the years … When it doesn’t go right, you are more often than not, screwed.

___e vey, wrong thread …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Cliff. I just ordered a Zalman ZM17-CU from digitalconnections. Look forward to trying it out.

My card seems to be running quite stable since I flashed it with the retail bios and 290/230 timings. I'm more concerned about stability then O/C'ing the card since its primary use will be for the HTPC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.