AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the dvi adapter and have two displays working fine. I just want the same resolution on both, no fancy stuff for now. My sony 1031q projector is on the vga port, and a plug and play monitor on the dvi port. I have the ati desktop software loaded and both monitors display the same thing just as desired. The problem is that if I boot the pc with the projector off, the ati software shuts down the vga port, and turning the pj on does not activate the output from the port. The goal is to be able to use the pc for music playback etc when the pj is off, but be able to turn on the pj and get a picture without having to reboot the pc. Any ideas or tweaks to the ati to keep it from disabling the port? Oh, I also used the very cool option in pstrip to create a custom monitor driver and that worked but did not solve my problem. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I too have an "awesome" :rolleyes: ATI 7500. When it isn't busy crashing my PC, it has a nice picture. Another one of its annoying habits is that it doesn't always know how to correctly handle the refresh rate. I always run my VT540 [email protected] (there's a minor tearing issue at higher rates), but I absolutely must run my monitor @75 or higher or I get a wicked headache. Anyway, to get the stupid thing to actually go to 75Hz someone here suggested that I set the following registry setting to zero:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\ATI Technologies\\Driver\\0000\\DAL\\IDCRegOptionDontUseOSMonito rInfo

This tells the ATI drivers to ignore its attempts to understand what is connected and just do what you've told it to do. It worked for my situation... well, it still crashes my PC several times a day usually. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response, this is perplexing. It seems like a 'I'm from Ati and I'm here to help you' sort of thing.

I dont' have that key by default. I'm running xp, should have mentioned that, anyway is this a key to add from scratch or are you running another OS? I don't see the 'driver' key, or anything under that.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm running 98. I can't remember if I added that key or if it was there already. The reason that I thought it might work is because it is supposed to be the one that enables/disables the use of DDC (?) which is the communication protocol used to communicate with display devices. If it doesn't try to see what's there, it might have to default to enabled.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Vince,

I havea a Radeon VE but I think the drivers work the same way for the 7500.

Do you have "hotkeys" or Schemes configured for Projector Only, Both Projector and Monitor On and Monitor only? Go to Control Panel/Display/Setting/Advanced/Displays Tab and create your schemes and hotkeys associated with those schemes.

Quote:
The problem is that if I boot the pc with the projector off, the ati software shuts down the vga port, and turning the pj on does not activate the output from the port.
I assume your monitor is on in the above situation. Go to the Displays Tab to manually turn on the vga port for the projector or just use a hotkey like CTR-Alt-P as your hotkey to activate the vga port.

Rick

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fujmeistr,

thanks a load. it looks like just setting a scheme makes my settings stick. if i boot up with the pj off, the monitor stays as the secondary display (the cloned one) and it shows the pj as not connected. if I turn on the pj, it just fires up as the primary display and works. brilliant! also the hotkey works also... much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.