AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I spent most of the day on this, time for some expert help.

I am trying to connect my Radeon 8500 to my Toshiba 34HD82 using the DVI ports. From what I have read, it should be plug & play. However, the only signal I get is "Windows 2000 is loading", none of the bios stuff before and nothing after, when the GUI loads.

The S-video works, just not the quality I was hoping for. I set up all the custom Power Strip settings & used the recommended Sony GDM-W900 as my monitor. One post I found said the DVI would not work if the S-video was connected, that din not work either. In the ATI control panel the DVI is X out and only the TV/S-Video is available.

I have test the DVI port using the DVI-VGA dongle & it works with a normal monitor. The cable I have is a "QVS, CFDD-D06, DVI-D Dual Link Video Cable".

My only concern is if I fried something on my initial attempts, before I read the FAQ's.

Basically I need H E L P!

Thanks

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What are the specs on the Toshiba's DVI input? Does the manual say it's VESA or computer compatible, or only intended for HDCP settop boxes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The manual says its not intended to be connected to a computer. Only a HDCP device. It was my understanding from the Faq's that it should not matte as long as I can output a signal thats HDCP compatible.

Suggested scan rates 1080i, 480p, 480i that seems pretty standard. The PS setting cover those.

I am borrowing a ATI 9500Pro, to see if that works, maybe its the digital part of DVI does not work. Strange but who knows.

Still looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The HDCP-DVI ports I've run across so far are designed to accept (EIA-861 compliant) Digital RGB. And as far as I'm aware, the DVI-I interface on the 8500 should be the same as on the 9500s. The 8500 was the first of the new generation of DVI-I boards that ATI released.

Hopefully somethin in one of the following threads will get you rolling.
Thread #1
Thread #2

Edit: One correction to the above. Not all 8500s may be equal. My understanding is the 8500DV AIW had the new DVI-I interface, but I can't be sure about the other 8500 models. This may or may not have any bearing on your situation though. Even some DVI-D cards may work.

Also, a single vs dual link cable might be an issue. Not sure about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, A little progress.

I tried the borrowed 9500Pro card and it Displayed every thing after the Loading Win 2K logo. But it was using the generic MS video driver. I then loaded the Catalyst 3.2 driver & rebooted. The Screen went blank as it loaded the GUI.

I uninsulated the drivers using the S-Video, Replaced the 9500Pro with my 8500. Booted on 8500 and it displayed, using the MS Drivers also. Loaded the Catalyst 3.2 drivers Rebooted, Blank screen. So I think its down to a driver issue.

I'm downloading the Catalyst 3.1 drivers to see if they work.

What version of the drivers are you using?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Wish I could help you with that, but I'm still shopping around for a new ATI Radeon card, myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Das-Chimera,

Were you able to make any progress with the Catalyst 3.1 drivers (or any others)?

I'm using the Radeon 8500 128MB card w/ WinXP and am experiencing the same symptoms you describe of only being able to see the bootup up until the point where Windows/Powerstrip kicks into a resolution beyond 640x480 (i.e. 480p, 540p, 720p, 1080i, etc). The interesting thing is that when switch my Toshiba RPTV's source input from "DVI" over to "PC In" (which is connected to the 8500's RGB-out), I see everything fine... except for the fact that I'm now in the analog world instead of the digital DVI world. Apparently, the ATI video drivers keep treating the RGB port as the primary (even if it's not connected to the TV), thus downgrading the DVI port to secondary status. I believe part of the problem is the fact that my TV does not have a Plug-&-Play signature that a true PC monitor would. I'm going to keep reading and hacking away in hopes of a solution, as I really would like to feed my Toshiba via DVI. One thing I'm going to try is to uninstall my video drivers, shutdown my HTPC, disconnect the RGB cable away from the 8500 (thus leaving only the DVI cable connected), power up the HTPC, and hopefully the 480i default resolution will work. The "fun" continues...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with your DVI problem. I'm experiencing the exact same issues with the ATI Radeon 9700Pro and the ATI drivers/control panel. VGA on the other hand works flawlessly. Being a geek, I wont be satisfied until I get my DVI to work though ;) I hope you guys are with me. Let's hope for some more posts and possibly a solution. BTW, my TV is the Samsung HLN5065W. At least it's good to know that it's not a problem with the TV itself, since you guys have different sets. It really seems like it's an ATI driver issue. I just don't understand why it would work in VGA but not in DVI when the refresh rates and resolutions are exactly the same. Even my TV's manual states that both signals use the same settings. Any help is appreciated...

Henry

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Radeon 8500 64mb Retail and have a Hitachi CML 174SXW B TFT connected to it and everything is fine.

Try installing the latest drivers. Not sure why you don't see the bios screen mut just maybe the screen isn't warming up quick enough. IMO its driver related or else its your screen (couldn't be if Windows2000 shows).

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mark,

It's encouraging to read about a success story (perhaps) with the Radeon 8500.

Questions:

1) Are you running Win2K or WinXP?

2) Did you also hook the 8500 to a PC monitor (via RGB/VGA), or did you start with DVI from the very start? I ask, because I started by connecting my 8500 to both a standard CRT monitor and to my Toshiba's DVI port. That may have caused the ATI driver installation process to treat the CRT as the primary monitor (and subsequently Windows won't release that assignment).

3) Is your Hitachi TFT display a regular computer monitor with registered Windows drivers? My Toshiba RPTV does not ship with Windows drivers, and Windows cannot auto-detect its signature (thus treating it as a "default monitor"). We would only be comparing apples to apples if you were using a TV that's *not* registered as a monitor that Windows would recognize.

VBB,

I am definitely "with you". Let's snare this elusive DVI beast.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Also, what resolutions and timings are you guys using?

·
Registered
277 Posts
1) Are you running Win2K or WinXP?

XP

2) Did you also hook the 8500 to a PC monitor (via RGB/VGA), or did you start with DVI from the very start?

I connected it through DVI on its own and window picked it up. I then connected my old bubble monitor and the TFT together, everything worked flawlessly. I also connected the same TFT with the vga cable (it has both inputs on it) and it was fine.

3) Is your Hitachi TFT display a regular computer monitor with registered Windows drivers? My Toshiba RPTV does not ship with Windows drivers, and Windows cannot auto-detect its signature (thus treating it as a "default monitor"). We would only be comparing apples to apples if you were using a TV that's *not* registered as a monitor that Windows would recognize.

Yeah thats probably why, its a regular monitor as far as I can tell. Windows own drivers worked fine but I downloaded the drivers from Hitachis site just to make sure.

Here is the link to the monitor incase you need to see for yourself.
http://compare.hitachidisplays.com/h...nfo.jsp?id=858

This is all with Catalyst 3.2 (and now 3.4) and the original 1.006 bios on the 8500. I have now flashed to the Radeon 9100 bios to see what difference there is (none so far, better or worse) and its still fine.

Maybe boot up with a CRT that works and then connect in the screen thats giving trouble. See what you can do from there in the ATI display section, enabling and disabling that screen. See what monitor\ v monitor drivers you can find.

Mark

DVI roxxx

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm trying to hook up my ATI 9500 soft-modded to 9700 to my KF50XBR800 via DVI Digital Cable and I get a screen to show up. The problem is, the control panel thinks its a FPD and I can't change resolutions. I thought that I'd read somewhere that 1280 X 720 was a viable resolution with the Catalyst 3.4 drivers, which I am using. My screen resolution is 1920 X 540. Also the top and sides of the picture are cut off. Any suggestions? Should I try and do this via component input?

Thanks!

Nils

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well if 1920 X 540 is too large\\small for your monitor then windows will give you the ability to scroll accross, maybe thats why some of it is cut off. Move the mouse over to that area and see can you "push" the screen accross.

1920 X 540 = 3.56

Are you sure that is the type of aspect \\ res you want?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tranpark

Never got my DVI working. Tried most of the past ATI drivers, clearing all ATI of between tries. Also loaded Win XP clean install, Catalyst 3.4, No GO.

Spent lots of time and got very frustrated.

I have not had a second monitor hooked up at the same time as my Toshiba, will try that later and let you know.

VBB

DITO, I would love to get the DVI working. I have considers getting a transcoder, but just cant see giving in yet. One selling point, at the time I bought my Toshiba was it had DVI. Keep trying let us know if you succeed.

Paul_Seng

I cant even get 640X480P to work with DVI. So default timings I guess.

Good luck, everyone

·
Registered
277 Posts
Try what I said, boot up with a normal vga monitor, then plug in the problem screen and go into ati displays, and enable the new screen. See what happens, if nothing then try getting a driver for it and installing it when its plugged in this way even if its not working.

If you still can't get it working post in the rage3d.com forums and ask the Catalyst_Maker guy to check it out and maybe a fix can be introduced for Catalyst 3.5s!

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can boot up into a normal VGA monitor just fine, and plugging in the TV via VGA also works. However, plugging the TV via DVI results in an all-black screen, whether I boot up with DVI connected or attempt to connect it after booting up with the VGA monitor first.

Also, I am just about positive that the TV will support PC input via DVI, because 1) the Windows startup screen can be seen (after the BIOS info has passed) and 2) Other owners of the Toshiba 57HLX82 have been able to send PC output via video cards that have a DVI connector only. It's just these ATI cards with dual monitor support (1 VGA & 1 DVI) that appear to handicap the DVI side in favor of the VGA side.

That said, I still need to try the approach of uninstalling the ATI drivers, hooking up only my TV via DVI, and then rebooting. Hopefully, WinXP will initiate ATI's installation sequence in a manner that will recognize that the 8500 is only plugged in via DVI and configure appropriately (at VESA 640 x 480). If I could get that default resolution to work, I would then move onto using PowerStrip to invoke custom resolutions like 540p, 1080i, and 720p (all at HDTV standard 60 Hz).

I'm also tempted to remove my 8500 and borrow my brother-in-law's Radeon 7500, which only outputs via DVI. But even if that works (which I suspect it would), I still wouldn't be satisfied, because the 8500 is a faster and more powerful card. The 8500's dual-head capability would also be come in handy for troubleshooting with a regular CRT monitor.

I might also give Rage3D.com a try. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, just uninstalled my Catalyst drivers and rebooted with only the DVI monitor (my Toshiba TV) connected. Unfortunately, the problem still lingers.

I did, however, find some potentially useful info regarding the use of DVI flat panel displays:

Incorrect display mode or no video during POST or DOS sessions using a DVI flat panel

Troubleshooting Common DVI Flat Panel Display Issues

While these articles do not address the main problem identified in this thread, they do offer some explanations as to why the DVI display is blank during system POST.

I'm gonna keep hacking at this...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Tranpark,

How is it coming along? Here's some more info on what's going on over here. When I hook up the TV only (DVI) and reinstall Windows, I see everything starting with the BIOS, POST, Windows boot screen, all the way to the desktop, which at that point defaults to [email protected] Keep in mind, that's before the installation of the ATI drivers and any changes made to the registry, be it through PowerStrip or manually. So I know for sure that the standard VGA driver works with DVI. When I install the ATI drivers, the PC reboots and the TV goes blank. One thing I've noticed, too, is that the TV says "No signal" in DVI, while in VGA it says "Not supported mode" when the screen goes blank. Another thing that's special about my TV is that it transmits an EDID plug 'n play signal through DVI only, but not through VGA like normal monitors do. Very strange stuff. On a sidenote, all resolutions work great in VGA, including all games (some support custom resolutions, others don't). I'll report back later tonight when I get home.

Henry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I see there a lot of people on this boat.

I had my DVI connection working with my Sony HS-10 fine for 4 months. It was great! All the 4x3 resolutions and powerstrip for 1368x768 native.

Then it started the black no signal trick from the XP's blue welcome screen on. The device manager doesn't list the HS10 under 'Monitors' anymore. Plus under display adapters (ATI 9000 secondary) it's shows 'default monitor' and the ATI Monitors tab the properties button is gray'd out. So I can't change squat for the DVI port.

In regedit I noticed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

-System

--Currentcontrolset

---Enum

----(I can't remember the rest..I'm at work.) look for EDID entries.

I see 3 entries. My Viewsonic connected to the VGA port.

My old Sony entry for when it registered 4 months ago correctly.

Plus the new 'default monitor' entry. But this one list an entry of EDIDBAD with a value of 256 zeros. But it must have registered correctly since I see a values in the EDID entry under the old Sony keys.

Is there away to override the assignment of 'default monitor' to my secondard port (DVI) if the DDC/EDID communications isn't working over the DVI line from the monitor and the card?

Or manually register the monitor so it list under Monitors in the device manager? Of course no driver or setup disk came with the projector. With EDID not working correctly XP doesn't see the monitor as new hardware or anything.

I also have a 8500 and tried it. No change. I'm starting to think the projector quit sending EDID info for some reason. Would love to see if XP could be setup manually or how to disable it from assigning 'default monitor' if no EDID info is received on the DVI port.

Thanks for any help. -Joe-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.