AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news at last! Stephen from ATI ask me to verify that the broken gamma has been fixed in a soon to be released version of the drivers and I can confirm it has been fixed.

I increased the gamma correction setting to maximum level and the lower third of the grayscale ramp was almost vertical without any broken segments.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Thanks Cliff, sounds like good news, how does it now compare with the other Radeons, the same, better, worse?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks Cliff for all the testing you did on this issue and thanks Stephen for getting it resolved!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Cliff: any chance you could provide some scoped settings for the 8500 and Theater Tek?

I already own a 7200...does the 8500 provide a noticable increase in picture quality, enough to justify an upgrade?

Thanks for any input you provide!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just ordered a 7500 online 5 minutes before seeing this thread to replace my 8500. Hopefully I can return it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So does this information mean that the new Aiw 8500 is the way to go for HTPC? I had a post asking in another thread and i was told that the 8500 was not the card to go with at the moment. Does the gamma fix mean that this is now the number one card to get for HTPC? If so, then i've got a POS vid card to ship to ATI so that I can my $100 discount......

Thanks,

pimpa

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
pimpa,

Who knows? Let's make sure it available and completely functional before getting on the bandwagon.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same like the other folks want to know, (with this fix driver) which RADEON card gives the best PQ quality for HTPC?

I guess we must wait a little bit longer until this driver is released and know the results.

If 8500 can beat 7500 with this new driver, without no doubt I will change my 7500.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles
pimpa,

Who knows? Let's make sure it available and completely functional before getting on the bandwagon.

-Mr. Wigggles
Agree, I'll wait and see.

It's about time, ATI.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Life is truly a cruel mistress... I ordered a 7500 in Friday afternoon... Its now first post Sat morning... As this always happens to me I guess I should have ordered it in January as it would have happened the night after I bought one anyway (yes I am betamax man) and at least you would all have had your 8500 driver fix faster ;) !!

Now lets see if that order has shipped yet...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just hope that overlay on both dvi and vga is not disabled. It was on the latest 6071, i had to rollback to 6043 to get the double overlay back.

fingers crossed

bye

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
hello all this is my first post here, I'm glad I found a place to ask this lol

Do you know if the tv out bug at 800x600 is still present with the new drivers. Or has anyone found a way to get rid of this bug?

If you do not know what I am speaking of please visit.......

Rage3d thread on bad tv out at 800x600

I would retype te problem here bt trust me there is so much and I have ben typing this so much looking for a answer I am tierd of typing lol

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
nintari:

ATI has a smoothing filters in all TV Modes, you can partially disable it in the driver, but not completely.

The effect is more pronounced at higher resolutions as the Image is actually scaled down and thus more filtering is applied.

You can try enabling overscan to reduce the resizing filtering, but there's still no way to disable the flicker-filter (which you need to do when playing video rather than games).

I actually have 3 (Radeon 32 PCI, Radeon 64 VIVO and Radeon 8500) ATI cards and for this reason I actually stuck with a TNT2 card as it has the option to disable both underscanning and flicker filter.

The ATI isn't even close on it's Analog-TV-Out compared to my TNT2 with fitlering disabled.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystiq
Can someone tell me wtf the gamma bug is?
Use the "search" button at the top of this page.

·
Registered
602 Posts
OH OH OH!!! I have been waiting to hear this news!!

I have the 7200 like most and would like to get the 8500 but only under certain conditions.

PLEASE can anybody... Cliff? answer these questions?

1. Will the corrected gamma drivers support interlaced?

2. Will the picture quality improve? (already been asked but not answered)

3. What benefit is there in having an 8500 if one already owns a 7200 and will not be playing games due to using the card in a dedicated movie only machine?

thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.