AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take peoples word for it that HTPC yields better PQ than stand alone DVD players on a analog TV. Just for fun today I did an A/B comparison between my PC with a radeon 8500 and my set top Panasonic RA60 DVD player.

I compared them both using s-video output on each unit. Both were calibrated with video essentials and used the same cables. My TV is a Sony Trinitron 32inch TV. After all was done and said the Panasonic blew the PC out of the water in terms of PQ. I used LOTR as the testing tool. It didn't matter what resolution I ran the PC, it never looked as good as the Panasonic.

So I'm naturally assuming that the s-video output on the radeon must be the problem. By the way I have all the latest drivers. Also I used Powerdvd 4 for the PC DVD player. I realize there are a million adjustments one can do on the PC to tune it up. Are people only using HTPC on digital TVs and projectors? Or is it just common knowledge that the S-video output isn't the way to go on the ati card? Is this common results on a analog TV?

The reason why I ask these question is because I want to built a dedicated HTPC to replace my Panasonic. But I'm not going to bother if the HTPC can't significantly out perform the Panasonic.

·
Registered
356 Posts
No video card can produce an s-video signal that will match a stand alone player. The HTPC´s strenght is the VGA output, either RGBHV or converted to component.

Ian

·
Registered
326 Posts
Go rent a decent PJ or borrow one from some one, just get a good data PJ.... Hook it up set you HTPC to the native resolution of the PJ and watch some movies...I bet you will know what we mean by "awsome picture quality" I also bet you will be trying to get a PJ before summer :D

Before your "testing" build a quick DIY Blackout cloth screen.. and throw up your surround system....

You will be hooked :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait for my PJ. I had the audio for some time. Can't stand the huge sound on my tiny Sony :) Now with Sanyo Z1, Infocus Z1, and the Sony HS 10 there's no reason to buy a PJ now :) I already Have my DIY screen directions printed out and ready to go. Your right it will most likely be February when I pick up one of those PJ I listed.

Here is my other equipment, not bad for a freshly graduated college student.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.