AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use the DVI port on my Toshiba 34HD82 with the DVI out on my PC video card? I tried just plugging them in with a DVI cable but got no signal on the TV. I didn't try any special settings on the pc, is Power Strip required to get the right output signal?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Most likely yes, you will need Powerstrip.

I have the 34HF81, which is a generation older than your TV, and doesn't have the DVI port... so I use my Radeon 8500 and the ATI component dongle.

The TV is very sensitive about having a specific set of parameters for the video input. So, you would first need to select a resolution that the TV can handle, like a 640x480 screen. Try that first. You *should* see a display that way. From there you can use PowerStrip to setup the custom timings and resolutions that the TV will accept.

The 640x480 mode is usually not listed in the ATI's display properties. So you need to click on the advanced button and click on the card's tab, then click on the "Show all modes"... so you can select the 640x480 resolution.

You are basically limited to the 480i/p and 1080i timings... but your model might accept some 540p timings.

There is a very detailed thread on this board that explains how to setup Powerstrip to use these very specific custom timings for HDTVs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the guides. I guess, I'll have to dig into it more this weekend. I basically just wanted know it is possible & wasn't wasting my time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yes, it's very possible. Just follow the guides very carefully. PowerStrip can be a complicated program to get a grasp on, but the guides help a lot, and they give you the specific timings necessary.

And PowerStrip is free to try, so you can experiment without spending a dime. Of course if you find it helps you, you should purchase it, but it's not crippled in any of it's functions if you don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.