AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me appologise for any poor wording or phrasing that I may use. I'm not a tech / computer guy by trade, only in the hobby sense.

I recently purchased a new graphics card to try with my computer because it has DVI and S-Video out, and I wanted to start experimenting with this setup in anticipation of making a HTPC.

I was running an old GForce 2 GTS based NVidia card, and the GPU fan started making a lot of horrible noise on me and that was pissing me off. I took advantage of this situation to order a Saphire Radeon 9000 card with VGA / S-video / DVI out on it. The old card only had VGA out.

I'm currently using a 4 year old (or so) Hitachi Elite 751 with it (great 19" monitor, would you believe at $900 when I bought it). Here in the near future I'm gonna pick up a Samsung 191T, but this is getting off track.

My machine consists of:

Epox 8rda+ motherboard

512MB 333 DDR

AMD XP1700+

Saphire Radeon 9000

Toshiba DVD

Lite-on CDRW

Win XP Pro w/ SP1, and all updates avail to this point.

Anyways, I installed the new video card, and it brings up the logon screen where you click on which user (although in some low res, maybe 640x480), and then I log-on. WinXP finds the card, and then installs drivers (old WinXP Microsoft drivers from the hard drive, or the internet search). I used it for a while like this, and all was okay.

I decided to download the most current drivers for the machine, and I bring the system up to date with the catalyst 3.2 drivers. I install the drivers, and the machine just reboots itself.

=== Description of problem ===

The machine now (when powered on) boots up and I get the POST screen, and then it brings up the loading Windows screen where the parsing rectangle scans from left to right on the screen, then the monitor switches resolutions and the screen goes blank.

Funny thing is, the machine doesn't crash, it's just not displaying anything. I can log on (blind) via keyboard at this point and here the music play as it logs me on, and waits for my commands. Just nothing but a black screen.

If I switch back to my GForce card, It works fine. But not the 9000. I've tried reloading the drivers again, uninstalling, and I can't get it going again.

I tried moving the PC into the living room and hooking it up via S-video to the TV, and trying it that way, but it does the exact same thing.

I don't have a DVI monitor right now, or I'd try that.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? Does anyone have any ideas of how I might trouble shoot and fix this problem? It's frustrating. I don't mind troubleshooting, hell, I can always stand to learn something new.

Thanks in advance for any of your help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'd say your Sapphire is fried. You could try to reverse XP to a restore point prior to the Catalyst 3.2 installation, and see if it helps. Or try the card in another computer, see how it goes.

The point I find strange is that, how you describe, XP seems to continue normally, unaware the display is off. The only time I had this, it was a video card that had gone bad after 3 hours use. Funny enough, the only PC parts that I ever swapped under warranty were 3 video cards...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm gonna give it a shot in another pc, and see how that goes.

If worst case scenario, I'll get another card from Newegg.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Chris,

I do NOT think that your video card is fried.

I have the same card AND live in Austin.

What a coincidence... :)

If you have anything plugged into the svideo output of your radeon 9000, the video output will switch to the svideo output when you arrive in the login screen.

Try to unplug the svideo cable, reboot the computer and you should be able to see everything on the monitor.

Let me know.

Arno

PS: I actually live in Round Rock

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also don't think your ATI card is fried (but I could be wrong). Sometimes installing the new ATI drivers can be a real pain, and they can get stuck if you reboot the system before installing both of the first two drivers, so the system might think you have some goofy default resolution. Removing the TV from the NTSC or S-Video out is certainly one important point.

For a detailed description of how to insure the drivers are correctly installed read the following forum post (to be honest, I got most of this from someone else, but I can't find the link). Here is a link to the forum ATI help with drivers , hope this helps.

Also read through to the bottom of the forum post, it explains where to get RegCleaner , a very handy utility for insuring your registry does not have any legacy driver information in it and some of the other details involved. This discusses the 8500DV specificially but I believe these problems exist with all ATI AIW 3.1 and 3.2 driver installs.

Oops, since your card is only ATI based, not an AIW ATI, this may not be as helpful, but from the type of problems you having, the basic steps might be appropriate.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
=== Update ===

Okay, today I had a friend bring over his ATI 9000 card. This card is manufactured by ATI, and appears to almost identical to the Sapphire ATI 9000 card. The big difference aside from the maker of the ram on the card is that the ATI version doesn't have the DVI output like the Sapphire does. Both cards do feature an S-video outlet as well as the VGA port.

Well, I put in the friend's known working ATI 9000 card and in place of my card, and voila. Everything came up smooth as butter.

I tried switching back to my card, and poopoo again.

FWIW, I followed those links (thanks guys) and did do total removal of all ATI related drivers before hand. This had no affect. The one good thing in using that Registry Cleaner software was that I was able to remove a lot of old drivers and junk that was no longer needed (a lot of Creative Labs stuff, etc).

I guess I'm going to get newegg to take this card back and send me another one to try again.

Thanks guys. I'll report back again when I get the new replacement card, and let everyone know how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.