AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted on this board previously, tried other web searches, and done some troubleshooting but no luck.

I've had my ATI radeon 9100 (8500) with DVI out to my HDTV DVI. I have pacific able DVIDL cable and everything has been working fine with ATI catalyst 2.3 drivers. I decided to upgrade to 3.2 and when i do output to HDTV via DVI everything that is supposed to be black shows red! Even the bios screen and Windows (Win XP Pro) load screens are red. Then once boot into Windows everything looks like its covered by a red film! I've tried deleting the drivers (auto and manual), and even format the whole machine and do fresh OS and ati catalyst 2.3 re-install but no luck. The only other thing(s) I can try is to go get another DVI cable to see if the cable may have went bad. Or I guess I should try a diff video card as well. Any thought/suggestion you have I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
As someone else mentioned in the previous thread, your only course may be to use a process of elimination, swapping out each component in the setup (beginning with the cheapest and easiest to replace) till you isolate where the problem, namely: cable, video card, monitor.

I've seen this kind of thing with loose or damaged pins on cables, or a damaged or blown video port. So that might be worth investigating. Part of the video signal may be having trouble getting through. It would be interesting to see if the DVI cable works on another monitor. Perhaps your local computer store would try it on one of their computers?

A cheap or inadequate power supply or excessive heat in the computer could be a possibility. This can interfere with the operation of a computer card. Make sure the video card is completely seated. If you've been unplugging cables from it, it may have loosened. If the card came loose, the PCI slot could possibly be damaged.

Also, is the DVI port on your TV intended for use as a computer input? As I was sayin over here, one of the things that concerns me about going directly into the DVI-HDCP ports on some TVs is whether it can handle bright RGB colors that are not NTSC/ATSC compliant.

Perhaps there is some kind of NTSC filtering option in the display card drivers or properties that was changed during the installation of the new drivers?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.