AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought a Grandmars Radeon 9500 non-pro 128M Ram 256 bit memory recently. I installed it in a VIA chipset MB without any problem. I can even turn on the 8 pipelines and overclocked it with Omega driver.

Then I installed in into my dedicated HTPC which is a P4 1.8G with SiS 650 chipset MB with the latest SiS AGP driver and WinXP SP1. (Just to replace the 9000pro).

Every time the boot up hangs !!!!! When I changed back to 9000 pro, there was no problem. The power supply has no problem. The AGP timing and settings are the same in both computer.

Can anyone help me ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If you have it in an overclocked state in the new motherboard, then it's most likely that. Just because an overclocked component works well in one system is no guarantee that the same configuration will work in another system--by definition you're running it out of spec and making it potentially more sensitive to many system configuration factors. Activating the extra pipelines on a 9500 is an especially iffy proposition, unless the card was one of the very first manufactured.

If it's not overclocked in the new system, it could be any number of other things--including the possibility that it may have been damaged when you overclocked it in the other system. It's also an unfortunate fact that SiS and VIA systems just aren't as "standard" and widely tested on as Intel chipset systems, and so random issues are more likely to creep up on such systems. Personally, I had a VIA KT133 board a while back that had such a poor PCI implementation in the southbridge that data corruption was a problem when bus-hogging PCI cards like the SB Live! were used.

Anyway, it could be an awful lot of things, but the odds are it's a side effect of the overclocking, whether the card is still overclocked or not in the new system, because the 9500 cards have been known to sometimes be damaged by unlocking the disabled pipelines in later revision cards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I undo the overclocking of my CPU and use the Omega driver to hack it. It opened up 8 pipelines and showed 9800chip the the "adapter" page.

Thank you Sergei.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.