AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a week or so of complete and total schizo behavior, I've moved from my RADEON 9500 that wouldn't work on my motherboard to a GeForceFX 5600 that a) wouldn't accept custom resolutions and b) sucked in gaming performance relative to the ATI cards, and finally to a RADEON 9600 Pro.

The 9600 Pro smokes for the price and looks GREAT through the ATI component video dongle. The problem is that when I try to install ANY Catalyst drivers later than 3.2, WinXP completely crashes when loading the video driver. This is ONLY when trying to output through the component video dongle, though. If I install Catalyst 3.7 while connected to a monitor, no problem. Things work fine. Move it over to the component video dongle, and BOOM!

I've tried tweaking every relevant BIOS setting after contacting ATI and getting that advice, but even keeping things as simple as possible I still get the crash.

So that brings me to this community of experts. Has anyone seen this behavior? Just to help, I'm using the following other equipment:

* Biostar M7NCG motherboard

* AMD Athlon XP 2100+ CPU

* 512MB DDR RAM

* Antec TruePower 380W power supply

Not sure what else is relevant.

ANY advice is welcome! Obviously I'm in a working state now, but the thought of being locked into the 3.2 Catalyst drivers is not exciting. I'm thinking about exchanging the card for the same item just to see if perhaps it's just this one card.

Regards,

Scott

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.