Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone out there who is running an ATI Radeon 9600, 9700, or 9800 series cards with DVI as their primary display can actually see the BIOS screen on bootup with their HTPC or regular PCs.

If so, what display device (type, make, model) are you connecting directly to your Radeon's DVI interface?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i'm using a 9800 xt. i pass the dvi signal through a myhd mdp-120 w/ dvi daughter board. when the myhd isn't on, it simply passes the dvi signal from the radeon through to the tv. my display is a samsung dlp hln617w. i have no problem displaying my bios. i just hit "delete" when the computer is booting up, & it brings me right into the bios.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Do you see the POST information (RAM, processor, etc.) as well before it goes into your OS (without going into the BIOS)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You probably did this already, but if you are set up for dual monitors in Hydravision schemes - choose switch monitors. When you have two monitors running off the Radeon 9700-9800 AIW the post only shows up on one monitor.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I can see the boot and BIOS screen on my FireGL X1 (9700Pro derivative - 2x DVI out). It only works on the "physical" primary display, though. Physical in the sense that with XP you re-assign what is the prim/sec. display.

I am not sure, how ATI cards with both, VGA and DVI, handle this. Based on your comment I could image that the VGA is the primary and DVI the secondary, hence you see no image during boot on the DVI, only on the VGA. I see the same on the Matrox G650 (dual DVI) in my other PC. During boot I get only an image on the primary display.

____

Axel

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by homebear
You probably did this already, but if you are set up for dual monitors in Hydravision schemes - choose switch monitors. When you have two monitors running off the Radeon 9700-9800 AIW the post only shows up on one monitor.
Does this work also in a "non-XP environment"?

____

Axel

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the computer connected via DVI right now to a flat panel monitor is a friend's machine. It has a Radeon 8500 with both DVI and VGA and the DVI is his primary display connected to a Viewsonic 20" LCD.

He cannot see the post or BIOS screens when his computer boots up and there is no secondary display at all and never has been. He detests the rendering of fonts that the current crop of nVidia cards generates at his 1280x1024 x 85Hz resolution. In fact when we recently tried a GeForce 5200 with DVI out, the 5200 locked his display frequency (card and monitor) at 60Hz. This just didn't work at all. The text was far too fuzzy.

We would like to stay with a Radeon card for him, but he wants to be able to see his post and BIOS screens at boot. I've heard of many ATI cards that have this issue prior to the 9800 series and I'm just wondering if the issue has been resolved. ATI claims that it doesn't happen with "every" DVI display. That is why, in my original post, I asked for people to post type of device, make and model if their Radeon 9x00 series card actually works through DVI to see the post and BIOS screens.

Sorry--should have done more explaining at first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I can see the post screen on my NEC 19", but it will not display on my Sony 23" using the same computer.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Kei.

Is it a direct DVI connection that you tried with both? What model of Radeon card is it?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Yes on DVI (only), it's an older 7500 with Cat 3.4 (and I don't want to upgrade because EDID works).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Radeon 9000 Pro with DVI hooked through my MyHD 120. I can see everything on TV, but when it posts, where it shows RAM, Processor, etc, it is garbage, like it doesn't have sync, but on the next screen where it shows IRQ's of everything, I can see that. I wonder if it is because of the color on the first screen when the power comes on. I'm using an AOpen board. I forget what model. I haven't actually gone into the BIOS to see if I can read the stuff in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My question might be a bit off topic but I really need an answer here. Those of the above who are using TVs like the Sammy DLP, with your connection do you need to use power strip with your ATI 9800? I am asking because that is my choice TV, DLP. Currently I have a ATI9800 and a Philips 30" HDTV mon with both component and a 15pin VGA and would like to make a connection now until the DLP. Any ideas how best to go about doing this? Do I need the ATI dongle for the component, or do I just go with a vga-to-vga cable? I need to get around using POWER STRIP.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SlackerX
Thanks for the reply. Do you see the POST information (RAM, processor, etc.) as well before it goes into your OS (without going into the BIOS)?
i have to hit TAB to see the post screen, but yes, i do see it. if i don't touch anything & just let it boot, the first thing it'll show is the pentium 4 ht logo. the caption underneath the logo instructs me to hit TAB for post & DEL for bios. if i don't press anything, another screen full of system info flashes for about 1 sec (i don't know if this would be considered another "post" screen), then it goes into the windows xp boot screen w/ the progress indicator oscillating back & forth.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The1BigDog
Those of the above who are using TVs like the Sammy DLP, with your connection do you need to use power strip with your ATI 9800?
i need to use powerstrip in order to display the desktop at my tv's native resolution of 1280x720.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Radeon 9800 pro AIW and I can see the bios on my sammy hln-507.I used Rage3d Tweak to get the 1280 x 720 res of the sammy.Without that I could only do 800 x 600. I think you will have a better computing experience using

a vga connection to your Philips.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I can see all of my bios and anything else on both my mitsu 55413 and my viewsonic 19"

viewsonic - vga

mitsu 55413 - dvi

when in windows the mitsu is primary and the viewsonic is secondary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.