AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It turns out the onboard fan is the loudest component in my HTPC. Does anyone know if there is a quiet replacement? Also, what's the best way to remove the stock fan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you using this heatsink without a fan or with the Zalman fan? I think Zalman recommends that you use their fan with Radeon cards.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use a zalman passive heatsink on a Radeon AIW (Not the new series), and found that with a large slow fan mounted in the front of the case, and the blanking plate removed from the top PCI slot, there is a nice stream of air over the heatsink.

Been running like this for about 6 months, with HTPC on 24 X 7

·
Registered
4 Posts
After using mine for a few hours I got in the mood to do some modding. Shut down and popped out the card. Gave the heatsink a little twist and it came right off. Not sure if it was so easy because it was hot. BTW, the stock heatsink was terrible - you will notice how uneven the glue was. Which means very little heat transfer. I put on a passive heatsink from an old pentium pro with thermal paste and a tiny dab of superglue. Works great for me. Takes 2 pci slots and I took the slot covers off to allow the case fan to pass some air through it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
RE: SuperGlue:

ArcticSilver actually sells (besides the ArcticSilver 3) a 2-part heat transfer composite that is a glue but conducts heat about as well as their best (made of silver dust) paste.

Alec

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.